Old Mages Magic & Mayhem Gamers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where the old players come back to what once was grand

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Final Water Spells

Go down 
+2
Dragonheart91
DarkDjinni
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2

What spells should water get?
Torrent
The Final Water Spells - Page 2 I_vote_lcap20%The Final Water Spells - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 20% [ 10 ]
Mana Flare
The Final Water Spells - Page 2 I_vote_lcap10%The Final Water Spells - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 10% [ 5 ]
Ripple
The Final Water Spells - Page 2 I_vote_lcap16%The Final Water Spells - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 16% [ 8 ]
Aqua Sphere
The Final Water Spells - Page 2 I_vote_lcap14%The Final Water Spells - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 14% [ 7 ]
Flood
The Final Water Spells - Page 2 I_vote_lcap16%The Final Water Spells - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 16% [ 8 ]
Whirlpool
The Final Water Spells - Page 2 I_vote_lcap14%The Final Water Spells - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 14% [ 7 ]
Silence
The Final Water Spells - Page 2 I_vote_lcap2%The Final Water Spells - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 2% [ 1 ]
Sea Elemental Morph
The Final Water Spells - Page 2 I_vote_lcap4%The Final Water Spells - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 4% [ 2 ]
Geyser
The Final Water Spells - Page 2 I_vote_lcap4%The Final Water Spells - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 4% [ 2 ]
Other which I MUST suggest, or is void
The Final Water Spells - Page 2 I_vote_lcap0%The Final Water Spells - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 50

AuthorMessage
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Number of posts : 3470
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Your Character
Level:
Primary Move: Moderate

The Final Water Spells - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Final Water Spells   The Final Water Spells - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 12:28 pm

So you were argueing with me, without knowing exactly what I had suggested? And were doing this based on the name solely I assume? You didn't believe me when I said I had super balanced numbers that are mad pro skill?

SUPER FACEPALM

The Final Water Spells - Page 2 Facepalm

It replaces silence perfectly, ESPECIALLY in combination with Ripple. Regardless, I assum you're neutral to the suggestion now? Which means everyone is either neutral or for the spell.
Back to top Go down
http://lolcatz.jayj
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Number of posts : 2358

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Cursed Waves (pwned much?)

PostSubject: Re: The Final Water Spells   The Final Water Spells - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 12:37 pm

No, I'm still against it. Just not as strongly. Like I'm not gonna QQ about it anymore, but I still don't think it is a good choice for WATER. Another element that focuses on mage damage and/or off-beat spells, maybe. (Wind, Lightning, Dark)

And I had read it, just not very closely. I just sort of skimmed over it vaguely, and said "Hey, I LOATHE Mana Flare! Bad spell!" Next time, name it something unique so it actually forces me to read it closely?
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

PostSubject: Re: The Final Water Spells   The Final Water Spells - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 1:16 pm

It's not meant to be a damage skill, only if your opponent is crazy kamikaze, and even then with ripple, you can screw up their combo anyway. It's a utility skill, which is water does. Dispel, Replenish, Phase shift, Silence, even Bubble is utility for sanctuary stopping. And...really the name shouldn't effect you're decision. Don't blame my lack of creativity (it fits the spell perfectly though) for our arguement though Razz.
Back to top Go down
kuro
Clan Chieftan
kuro

Number of posts : 1331
Registration date : 2008-05-31

Your Character
Level: 2
Primary Move: invoke

PostSubject: Re: The Final Water Spells   The Final Water Spells - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 28, 2008 3:28 am

i'd just like to say that i took no ideas from anyone else for aquasphere, other then dragon saying water should have AoE dps, disables, and possibly mana degeneration. i also named it myself >_> there were many subsequent remakes, and anything before my post about an aquasphere ability were not read by me XD

how do i add my vote to other things like torrent? someone said you can but i cant :/
Back to top Go down
http://zyncmmm.act.st
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Number of posts : 2358

Your Character
Primary Move: Cursed Waves (pwned much?)

PostSubject: Re: The Final Water Spells   The Final Water Spells - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 28, 2008 3:48 am

I think everyone should forget about "credit" for things. It will just go down as credit to the forum community.

To vote for multiple, simply check more than one box before hitting submit vote.
Back to top Go down
diaster
Ultimate Sage
Ultimate Sage
diaster

Number of posts : 1378

Your Character
Primary Move: Wind Control

PostSubject: Re: The Final Water Spells   The Final Water Spells - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 28, 2008 3:53 am

lol of course there won't be credit for the creators of the idea in the game, its just bragging rights, like hey my idea got into the game lol.
Back to top Go down
kuro
Clan Chieftan
kuro

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: The Final Water Spells   The Final Water Spells - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 29, 2008 4:50 am

diaster wrote:
lol of course there won't be credit for the creators of the idea in the game, its just bragging rights, like hey my idea got into the game lol.

i dont care about credit to myself; i care about other people taking credit for things that arent their own. thats plagiarism and can get you expelled in school Very Happy tongue
Back to top Go down
diaster
Ultimate Sage
Ultimate Sage
diaster

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: The Final Water Spells   The Final Water Spells - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 29, 2008 11:45 pm

Um I'd like to ask one of the mods to make the poll allow vote canceling? Because it seems some people may have changed their minds on what to vote for.
Back to top Go down
kuro
Clan Chieftan
kuro

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: The Final Water Spells   The Final Water Spells - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 30, 2008 12:13 am

i was thinking that too, i wish to vote on ripple torrrent and flood.
Back to top Go down
DarkDjinni
God of Ice
God of Ice
DarkDjinni

Number of posts : 297

Your Character
Primary Move: Change This To Your Own Special Move In Your Profile

PostSubject: Re: The Final Water Spells   The Final Water Spells - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 30, 2008 12:43 am

You can now cancel your votes if you wish to do so.
Back to top Go down
diaster
Ultimate Sage
Ultimate Sage
diaster

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: The Final Water Spells   The Final Water Spells - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 31, 2008 5:53 pm

Thx djinni. I think I'd like to revive the conversation by saying, I find torrent, flood and whirlpool/aqua sphere as probably the best spells. These spell fit water better than the rest. Water is massive, soothing, and powerful. Whirlpool shows waters power by trashing things about. Torrent/flood bring forth a mass amount of water, which really no other spell does on its own. (I guess water ele's are arguable but that's still when you spam the skill.) I'd much prefer to add skills that follow the elements theme are added then balanced rather than just adding skills that seem to work with the move set. I mean the current skills being removed can follow water with a stretch imo, geyser being sad cause of how slow it works. Water morph kinda works because of all the variety of life you find in the ocean but thats still a stretch..silence...water magnifies sound, blurs it but doesn't stop it...dunno why it was added...
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

PostSubject: Re: The Final Water Spells   The Final Water Spells - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 31, 2008 6:38 pm

Quote :
I'd much prefer to add skills that follow the elements theme are added then balanced rather than just adding skills that seem to work with the move set.

Skills that fit the elements themes are so opinionated though. Also you would have to and remake elements hard...In pretty much EVERY game, Lightning stuns, Ice slows, and Fire does the most damage. That's not how MM&M works, because it's unique, and different from the rest. The skillsets work, and fit together decently (though they still need work).

It makes more sense to go over the theme, of the elements central purpose, rather than what peoples OPINION on what that element represents. Sure, it's opinionated what that elements purpose should be, and how that should be done - but it's pretty much unanimous that Water should be a support.

Currently, there is one pure support element. Period. Water should be the other support element. The spells you chose, though do support, are much more Pseudo-support. I can call Lightning a support, and argue it, but it's played as a carry. Taser (disable) + Purge (Semi-disable/Anti-spell) + Crack (Positioning) + TS (Buff). There, it's a support element. The water skills you've chosen, are support....but they're way too Pseudo-support rather than full out support.

I think they should be more support oriented. I think, Mana Flare, Aqua Sphere (Dragons version), and Ripple do this best. These are Psedo supports as well, however - they support far more than they damage. A water wouldn't be able to carry at all in comparison to the actual carries, but a Water/Carry team would do much better than a Carry/Carry team, and a Water/Water team would do worse than both - so it does fill the support role...
Back to top Go down
diaster
Ultimate Sage
Ultimate Sage
diaster

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: The Final Water Spells   The Final Water Spells - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 31, 2008 8:33 pm

Well I can see what your saying but I disagree and ya know I'm not sure if MM&M is to far from having the stereotypical element builds. Fire has a lot of dmg, only true competition is earth, lightnings purge/tazer locks, Ice is slow... I mean one thing I liked about the way Zync was doing things was he tried to model the elements after how they are, and well I think since that is what made the game great in the first place, its what should be continued. I'd have little issue w/ other moves being suggested but I don't really wanna support anything that doesn't fit water.
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

PostSubject: Re: The Final Water Spells   The Final Water Spells - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 31, 2008 8:55 pm

If it's the water "theme" you're worried about, you can easily create lore to how the spells intertwine with water...Seriously. You can just give water Fissure, and say "Using the water moisture in the air, the mage changes the pressure in a small area around him stunning all living things while damaging them". Or give Holy, Thunderstorm and say "The unit is blessed, and has his prayers answered every so often causing his opponents to be struck randomly from the heavens." I don't know, that might not be the best example, but I made those in like 10seconds. But ya, and spell you can change the name around, and then add some background story/lore to it and presto - you got a new spell. The thing that decides waters (or any elements) spells, is what the purpose of that element is, and what it should be doing. Water, it's pretty agreed should be supporting, as pure as it can be, and not Pseudo-carrrying.
Back to top Go down
kuro
Clan Chieftan
kuro

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: The Final Water Spells   The Final Water Spells - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 31, 2008 8:59 pm

i see both sides, certain spells are not wanted in the element because it is 'not part of the water theme' but at the same time one can make up some crazy story behind why water has (e.g.) mana flare or something.

even so, i wish to stick with the 'theme' thing, with water style things instead of mana flares, water fissures (lol) or holy calling down lightning from the sky.
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

PostSubject: Re: The Final Water Spells   The Final Water Spells - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 01, 2008 2:47 am

It's all about the animation though, in my examples - you would have a beam of Light opposed to Lightning bolts coming from the sky. Instead of seeing the ground be cracked, you would see some water crush in towards the target from all sides.

Mana Flare fits what Water needs, and does - in supporting and Pseudo-supporting and is a good REPLACMENT for Silence (If Water doesn't need a replacement for silence is debatable). If you change the name to Casters Water, and made it the animation a little pool of water that flashes a lot - and said "The mage, drops a slight amount of water taken from the springs surrounding the Tree of Life. This water is the essence of magic, and with the mage controlling it, can make any other forms of magic harmful to the caster, however this water evaporates into the air very quickly, only being able to last for 12 seconds at a time." I don't know, that's also pretty lame - but I'm sure if I put in some time, or someone creative could put in something good. Also...do our spells even HAVE any sort of descriptions, I never really read them unless I'm looking for a manacost/cooldown or something since I'm so familar with them....
Back to top Go down
kuro
Clan Chieftan
kuro

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: The Final Water Spells   The Final Water Spells - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 01, 2008 3:19 am

sounds good... hm...

anybody have any idea on what spells should go where if they were implemented?

e.g. i think that, if implemented,

ripple should be an S spell

flood/whirlpool should be a F spell, maybe a Z or X spell

torrent/mana flare should be a C spell (but mana flare could also be a Z or X spell; but i feel torrent needs to be a C)
Back to top Go down
diaster
Ultimate Sage
Ultimate Sage
diaster

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: The Final Water Spells   The Final Water Spells - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 01, 2008 9:56 am

I see what you are say...I still don't personally like the idea of adding it since it is such a stretch to fit water...much like how I rather dislike how icy orb have little to do w/ ice...but you make a good point, and I leave it up to the voters to decide.
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

PostSubject: Re: The Final Water Spells   The Final Water Spells - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 01, 2008 10:42 am

I don't really see how anything is a stretch, and no offence - but voters have little control over what actually goes in the game, now I'm not saying don't bother voting, or changing your vote....I'm just saying it's not a democracy. On the note of where stuff should go where, I think the way I put it in the other water topic (as well as the other changes) are good...Again, I don't expect my own suggestions to 100% get in. I know that Zync approved some of my other ideas, and they still aren't in Razz. That being the water suggestion - and Aqua Sphere as the C spell.

https://zyncmmm.forumotion.com/mages-magic-mayhem-chat-f3/the-remake-of-water-t584.htm
Back to top Go down
diaster
Ultimate Sage
Ultimate Sage
diaster

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: The Final Water Spells   The Final Water Spells - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 02, 2008 1:47 am

Well you are right, in the end it isn't the community that decides, but its not you either, its pyth and rhys, and well I guess I really wanna hear what they have to say on this. This way we can finally move past this thing and optimize the skills.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Final Water Spells   The Final Water Spells - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Final Water Spells
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2