Old Mages Magic & Mayhem Gamers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where the old players come back to what once was grand

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Final Water Spells

Go down 
+2
Dragonheart91
DarkDjinni
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

What spells should water get?
Torrent
The Final Water Spells I_vote_lcap20%The Final Water Spells I_vote_rcap
 20% [ 10 ]
Mana Flare
The Final Water Spells I_vote_lcap10%The Final Water Spells I_vote_rcap
 10% [ 5 ]
Ripple
The Final Water Spells I_vote_lcap16%The Final Water Spells I_vote_rcap
 16% [ 8 ]
Aqua Sphere
The Final Water Spells I_vote_lcap14%The Final Water Spells I_vote_rcap
 14% [ 7 ]
Flood
The Final Water Spells I_vote_lcap16%The Final Water Spells I_vote_rcap
 16% [ 8 ]
Whirlpool
The Final Water Spells I_vote_lcap14%The Final Water Spells I_vote_rcap
 14% [ 7 ]
Silence
The Final Water Spells I_vote_lcap2%The Final Water Spells I_vote_rcap
 2% [ 1 ]
Sea Elemental Morph
The Final Water Spells I_vote_lcap4%The Final Water Spells I_vote_rcap
 4% [ 2 ]
Geyser
The Final Water Spells I_vote_lcap4%The Final Water Spells I_vote_rcap
 4% [ 2 ]
Other which I MUST suggest, or is void
The Final Water Spells I_vote_lcap0%The Final Water Spells I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 50

AuthorMessage
diaster
Ultimate Sage
Ultimate Sage
diaster

Number of posts : 1378
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Wind Control

The Final Water Spells Empty
PostSubject: The Final Water Spells   The Final Water Spells EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 7:04 pm

Well since my poll supposedly wasn't done properly, and I can't change polls, I'll make a new poll. I'm sure as everyone knows we have 4 major spell candidates and only 3 slots, this poll will help us decide what spells to add. You do have multiple votes, so please vote for the 3 spells you want in water most. And now with no further a due the spells.

Torrent (3 levels)
Channeling
For .2*essence seconds you create a large torrent of water which cones out from your position. Each wave takes 20 mana to make and upon hitting does 1/4*crushing wave damage.
recharge 30
cost 100/125/150

Mana Flare (3 levels)
Effect: Creates a ward that damages mages based on the amount of mana they expend.
Mana Cost: 75/100/125
Casting Type: Instant
Casting Range: 700
Cooldown: 19 seconds
Area of Effect: 500/600/700
Duration: 8/9/10 seconds
Skill Point Cost: 6/6/6
Ward does damage based on mana of the spell the enemy mage uses at 0.5/0.75/1.00 damage per point of mana. The ward has a 1 second delay on burn. (the summoning animation would be flashy as well)

Ripple (3 levels)
Effect: The mage uses the water moisture in the air to send out ripples that damage and silence enemies per waves. 0.5second silence per wave. Each ripple comes out in one second intervals
Mana Cost: 135/190/245
Casting Type: AoE around mage
Casting Range: 600
Cooldown: 21 seconds
Damage: 1.0/1.5/2.0 * Power per wave
Total Skill Point Cost: 18

Aqua Sphere (3 levels)
adds a buff to an enemy that constantly drains mana by 6/9/12*power%. if used on an ally, adds a buff that reduces spell damage that they take by .3/.5/.7*essence. lasts 10 seconds on enemies, 100 seconds on allies. ally-buff goes away 3 seconds after taking spell damage. short-medium cd.

Flood (3 levels)
floods an area (aoe 325/425/525) for some time, restricting restricting movement and actions. changes enemy mana regeneration by (4/7/10*power)%, slowing by 8/12/16%, deals damage according to mana degenerated. lasts 15 seconds, drains mana as long as channeled. slow persists in the AoE until duration is up. medium cooldown.

Whirlpool (3 levels)
by spinning water in multiple directions around a central point, the mage creates a devastating whirlpool effect. 500AoE, <200distance to center= 30%slow, .6,.8,1*power per second, <500distance to center= 10% slow, .4/.5/.6*power per second. lasts 5 seconds. channeling. graphical effect is a giant 'stun' icon, and a farsight, with water. long cooldown.

Geyser (3 levels)
Effect: Causes waves of water to crash forth from the ground around target point, dealing its damage with each wave for 3 waves.
Mana Cost: 135/190/245
Casting Type: Channeled
Casting Range: 750
Cooldown: 17 seconds
Damage: 1.0/2.0/3.0 * Power per wave

Silence (3 levels)
Effect: Stops all enemies in a target area from casting spells for a few seconds.
Mana Cost: 75/100/125
Casting Range: 700
Cooldown: 19 seconds
Area of Effect: 225/290/355
Duration: 3/4/5 seconds

Sea Elemental Morph (3 levels)
Effect: Morphs that Mage into a Sea Elemental. Doing this removes all buffs, and while in Sea Elemental form, you cannot alter equipment or spell books, and cannot cast from or use your spell books in any way.
However, the Sea Elemental does have increased inate spells, including Crushing Wave, Bubble Aura, Water Elemental, Mana Shield, and Replenish; all of which are based on your spell book versions.
Mana Cost: 445/345/245
Casting Range: Personal
Skill Point Cost: 8/7/6
Total Skill Point Cost: 21
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Number of posts : 2358

Your Character
Primary Move: Cursed Waves (pwned much?)

PostSubject: Re: The Final Water Spells   The Final Water Spells EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 7:20 pm

That is NOT the Aqua Sphere I suggested at all. I don't mind you changing Torrent, especially since the name was the only important part, but I liked Aqua Sphere.
Back to top Go down
diaster
Ultimate Sage
Ultimate Sage
diaster

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: The Final Water Spells   The Final Water Spells EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 12:08 am

That is the aqua sphere kuro suggested, if it is wrong post your version and I may edit it in, but really after the voting we can debate the best versions of these spells, for now I want to get off this 9 page argument between us over what spells should take its place.
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: The Final Water Spells   The Final Water Spells EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 12:14 am

The one I suggested was on like page 5 or 6 I think. It was a castable Mana Shield. Cast on ally, damage they take hurts YOUR mana. Cast on enemy, damage they take hurts THEIR mana, and they lose a tiny bit of mana per second.

Whatever is there isn't Jay's creation either, as Jay doesn't do x*Essence abilities. I dunno who's ability that is.
Back to top Go down
diaster
Ultimate Sage
Ultimate Sage
diaster

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: The Final Water Spells   The Final Water Spells EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 12:50 am

Kuro's original, I realized I wrote the wrong name 1-4 seconds after writing the post but was apparently 2 slow on fixing it again...
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: The Final Water Spells   The Final Water Spells EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 2:10 am

Lol yeah, that spell wasn't even named Aqua Sphere.
Back to top Go down
AquaAscension
Legendary
Legendary

Number of posts : 580

Your Character
Primary Move: Flying Dragon Kick

PostSubject: Re: The Final Water Spells   The Final Water Spells EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 4:55 am

Sadly i had to forsake my namesake spell... But aqua sphere would be SO cool except that I barely get how it works or how it'd be incredibly useful.

I voted for torrent although it sounds a little blah... as though it'd just take up space and not much else. 1/4 of 3.75 is just under 1... just over .9 so the dps is sort of crappy and at 150 starting mana + 20 mana per wave it sounds almost useless. Crushing wave achieves far better crowd control for much less mana.

There's a spell in there that might as well be vortex. That is fail.

Whirlpool sounds interesting and could add synergy to water. Slow + damage + water elementals could be devastating.

Mana flare is a calculated risk spell. Although, i might suggest bringing the damage up to 1.2 or so because 100 mana in damage is not so bad. Increasing the ratio makes casting far less attractive. Perhaps add a short slow in addition to damage because the water is draining the essence of others?

Haha how about a spell called essence drain? Where water drains the average of the casting and targeted units essence in mana per second? I.e. mage with 31 essence + water with, say, 52 essence / by 2 = 41.5. Perhaps add damage and slow for a crap-tastic spell that will make water feared and not just by people scarred by the movie "Jaws".

P.S. Most of this post is in jest. Read: the last paragraph. School has started. Thus AquaAscension should be renamed AquaDementia... FTW!
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: The Final Water Spells   The Final Water Spells EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 10:32 am

Aqua, you forget that the numbers are fluid. Don't vote based on the numbers of the spell there, vote based on the CONCEPT.

Also, Aqua Sphere is supposed to be a Mana Shield that you target at someone else. On an ally, any damage they take under the effect is dealt to YOUR mana, and on an enemy, any damage they take is dealt to THEIR mana. It also does a minor mana degeneration if cast on an enemy.
Back to top Go down
kuro
Clan Chieftan
kuro

Number of posts : 1331
Registration date : 2008-05-31

Your Character
Level: 2
Primary Move: invoke

PostSubject: Re: The Final Water Spells   The Final Water Spells EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 11:32 pm

make it aqua sphere 1 (kuro) and aqua sphere 2 (aqua).

i voted for ripple because thats what i suggested and its a fun DPS AoE disabler.

other things i would vote for but cant: torrent, aqua sphere (aqua/me, whatever, a buff spell would be nice), flood
Back to top Go down
http://zyncmmm.act.st
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: The Final Water Spells   The Final Water Spells EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 11:58 pm

Umm, I made Aqua Sphere. (Sort of, other people helped and inspired me. If they want partial credit, that is fine, but I actually finalized the idea.)

Also, this poll allows voting for multiple. I voted on Aqua Sphere, Torrent, and Ripple. (Preferably made into a target ground like Geyser, but acceptable either way.)
Back to top Go down
DarkDjinni
God of Ice
God of Ice
DarkDjinni

Number of posts : 297

Your Character
Primary Move: Change This To Your Own Special Move In Your Profile

PostSubject: Re: The Final Water Spells   The Final Water Spells EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 12:04 am

Dragonheart91 wrote:
Umm, I made Aqua Sphere. (Sort of, other people helped and inspired me. If they want partial credit, that is fine, but I actually finalized the idea.)

Also, this poll allows voting for multiple. I voted on Aqua Sphere, Torrent, and Ripple. (Preferably made into a target ground like Geyser, but acceptable either way.)

Well actually....

I said it in Chatbox all you did was give it a passive -mana degen and call it yours, so if we are gonna be glory whores. Id like the credit for this spell, with you making MINOR changes.
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: The Final Water Spells   The Final Water Spells EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 12:14 am

Sure. Someone else suggested it first, but you actually described the concept in a way that sounded useful. I made it target allies or enemies, and gave it mana degen. (You had it target enemies only.) And of course, I was the person who actually put it on the forum. But even so, you can have full credit for creating it.
Back to top Go down
diaster
Ultimate Sage
Ultimate Sage
diaster

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: The Final Water Spells   The Final Water Spells EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 12:28 am

I though kuro was the one who made it >_> I never saw djinni post it...
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Number of posts : 3470

Your Character
Level:
Primary Move: Moderate

PostSubject: Re: The Final Water Spells   The Final Water Spells EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 12:33 am

The concept of Aqua Sphere was first brought by someone else quoting, someone else from WoW saying "Mana Sheild is such a bad defensive skill that it could be used as an offensive skill". I then believe we were talking on the chatbox, and that concept was brought up by Djinni, when discussing the changed mana shield. However, I believe the name had already been suggested by Kuro, and then Dragon polished (but far from balanced) the spell, and posted it.

If anything - That random person should get credit. I can't recall the name, and don't feel like digging through forums. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://lolcatz.jayj
DarkDjinni
God of Ice
God of Ice
DarkDjinni

Number of posts : 297

Your Character
Primary Move: Change This To Your Own Special Move In Your Profile

PostSubject: Re: The Final Water Spells   The Final Water Spells EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 12:53 am

diaster wrote:
I though kuro was the one who made it >_> I never saw djinni post it...

I don't post much.
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: The Final Water Spells   The Final Water Spells EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 12:55 am

kuro suggested the name? I didn't realize, I initially called it "Water Orb." That obviously sounds like crap and makes no sense, so I messed around until I got "Aqua Sphere," and that sounded pro so I kept it. I had no idea that kuro said it first.

Djinni didn't post it, he simply talked about it on the chatbox.

I think we should just all share credit around. Aqua Sphere is by the community, and for the community. Does anyone have a problem with that? I still support it as being a fun concept though. I would love to see at least one of it's three effects implemented in Water.
Back to top Go down
diaster
Ultimate Sage
Ultimate Sage
diaster

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: The Final Water Spells   The Final Water Spells EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 12:58 am

Well torrent is mine and mine alone Razz and from the current poll, aqua, torrent and ripple are our winners.
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: The Final Water Spells   The Final Water Spells EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 1:03 am

It does look that way. But, I would argue that Torrent was a community creation as well. I thought of the pro name, and lots of people have been discussing what kind of uber effect it should have.
Back to top Go down
diaster
Ultimate Sage
Ultimate Sage
diaster

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: The Final Water Spells   The Final Water Spells EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 2:52 am

lol torrent was like one of my first spell suggestion for water when I came to the forum. I can link it if you want. If anything I got the idea from shinobi wars, kisames ultimate skill.
Back to top Go down
AquaAscension
Legendary
Legendary

Number of posts : 580

Your Character
Primary Move: Flying Dragon Kick

PostSubject: Re: The Final Water Spells   The Final Water Spells EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 3:24 am

I still argue that Ripple, although cool, is fail because it's too much like vortex. Vortex requires positioning. Now, let's ask the question what positioning spell does water possess? Uh... there's... um... yeah. None. Now apply the question to wind. Wind Walk and invisibility. This leads to good synergy. With Jay raving about synergy in his Armageddon is weak sauce post, you'd think someone would pick up on this, so i guess it'll be me. My point is that every spell should be a valuable, useful spell but not in only very limiting circumstances. Each spell *should* be able to used for a variety of things. Ripple AoE silence and damage not a bad idea but when is a water mage realistically going to get the opportunity to use it and have it make any good god damn bit of difference?

I can hear the crickets already.
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: The Final Water Spells   The Final Water Spells EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 11:10 am

That is why I think it should be target point aoe instead of around your mage aoe. Cut it's aoe down to 300 or 350, and make the casting range 600. There ya go, made better.

Also, it is "weaksauce" one word. Meaning, the pure essence of weak. I.E. That scrawnie guy is covered in weaksauce.
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

PostSubject: Re: The Final Water Spells   The Final Water Spells EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 11:12 am

Quote :
I still argue that Ripple, although cool, is fail because it's too much like vortex. Vortex requires positioning. Now, let's ask the question what positioning spell does water possess? Uh... there's... um... yeah. None. Now apply the question to wind. Wind Walk and invisibility. This leads to good synergy. With Jay raving about synergy in his Armageddon is weak sauce post, you'd think someone would pick up on this, so i guess it'll be me. My point is that every spell should be a valuable, useful spell but not in only very limiting circumstances. Each spell *should* be able to used for a variety of things. Ripple AoE silence and damage not a bad idea but when is a water mage realistically going to get the opportunity to use it and have it make any good god damn bit of difference?

I can hear the crickets already.

It's supposed to be used in conjunction with Mana Flare. I assume you never read that 8 page arguement of water between me and Dragon. With the ward, you now have a lure to bring people close in range to use ripple. Ward was supposed to replace Silence. In a way it's a Pseudo-silence depending on your opponent. If they're conservative, they'll lay back and wait for the wards duration to end - or possibly attack the ward so they can cast. If they're liberal - they'll cast and take the damage anyway (Or certain spells are out of the wards range, and they'll use that).

Assuming you have a conservative opponent, you have your mission accomplished of disrupting their casting/"silencing" them (by their own choice). If they're semi conservative, they'll come and attack the ward. A mage has 600 AoE - and ripples AoE is, you guessed it 600 AoE. Now, unlike vortex - it's NOT channeled. It FOLLOWS the mage. So once they come to attack the ward, they've already lost 2-3 seconds of not casting. Also unlike vortex, it does it's damage in 3 seconds not 5. Now since you've used Ripple, they'll ACTUALLY be silenced. However, unlike vortex it's only 0.5second stuns every second opposed to a full silence - so a VERY quick mage could cast an instant spell.

So Mana Flare/Ripple would combo. They would be your new silence. It takes a lot more skill, and it becomes solely based on both you and your opponents playstyles on if it will work or not. The point of silence, was to disrupt your enemies casting, and make them useless for a while. That's exactly what Mana Flare/Ripple would do. However it has damage based on your opponents play style now.

Sorry - I'm a pretty loud cricket.
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: The Final Water Spells   The Final Water Spells EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 11:21 am

Mana Flare do not be winning. Truthfully, I'm surprised it got 5 votes, and would be astounded to see it get any more than that.

So, in light of that, consider doing Ripple differently.

P.S. This is actually a fair and non-biased poll, so you can't really argue with results.
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

PostSubject: Re: The Final Water Spells   The Final Water Spells EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 11:32 am

Quote :
Mana Flare do not be winning. Truthfully, I'm surprised it got 5 votes, and would be astounded to see it get any more than that.

It's not a democracy, sorry to burst your bubble. Just because the community wants or doesn't want something the map maker doesn't have to do anything. It's just more likely they will - however, sometimes "Map Maker knows best" and does something the community doesn't want, and it turns out for the better. Example - Zync implementing Stat caps.

Quote :
So, in light of that, consider doing Ripple differently.

I'm not the one implementing spells, Pyth/Rhys implement whatever they want, based on what they think is good.

Quote :
P.S. This is actually a fair and non-biased poll, so you can't really argue with results.

Sure I can. I can say that very few people bothered to read our arguement - thus they don't realize the synergy between the two spells, and how they fit the support theme of Water. It's not exactly and easy synergy to spot. Not having known this, they voted with what seemed like the best options. It's like any election, not everyone knows what the cantidates are actually about. They just choose whatever they like, regardless of every little minor detail (Even if those details are important).

Don't worry though, unlike you, whether this goes in or not - I won't really be bitching (about it going in or not). (Don't take it personaly, you know you would be pissed if it got in). I just strongly think this would be a good thing for water, and be more of a strategic type of "Silence" that's based on your opponents, over Just click and point, or aim and click, or just click (In reference to Suffocate, Silence and Vortex respectively).

However, I don't want to turn this into another arguement Dragon.
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: The Final Water Spells   The Final Water Spells EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 11:57 am

Well, if you want to know the truth, I actually read the spell a few days ago. (This was when I made the post suggesting it for a Fire spell, because that is where I think it makes sense. -Or Dark, or Earth.-) It isn't NEARLY as bad as I thought. It isn't channeled, it isn't aoe around the mage, it isn't a set amount of damage to enemies, it isn't indestructible, it isn't OP. (Much.)

I still don't like it, and I don't think it fits the theme of Water. But, it isn't as bad as I thought, and I wouldn't be quitting Water or bitching just because of it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Final Water Spells   The Final Water Spells Empty

Back to top Go down

The Final Water Spells
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Old Mages Magic & Mayhem Gamers Forum :: Archives :: Archives-
Jump to: