Old Mages Magic & Mayhem Gamers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where the old players come back to what once was grand

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

More of a discussion...

Go down 
+2
AquaAscension
Jay.J
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Number of posts : 3470
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Your Character
Level:
Primary Move: Moderate

More of a discussion... Empty
PostSubject: More of a discussion...   More of a discussion... EmptyTue Jan 27, 2009 1:37 am

This lecture I had today blew my mind. I don't know why, but it just did. Maybe because I was tired, and it was a 9:00 class. Anyway, I suggest watching it and then a discussion on it...Not really seeing this succeed, but might as well try.

It's a 40minute taping of my Psych lecture. It's pretty interesting.

Side game: See if you can find me in the crowd Smile (Not that you know what I look like anyway, and if you did...pretty hard to spot someone in a crowd of 400 from the back).
Back to top Go down
http://lolcatz.jayj
AquaAscension
Legendary
Legendary

Number of posts : 580

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Flying Dragon Kick

PostSubject: Re: More of a discussion...   More of a discussion... EmptyTue Jan 27, 2009 4:25 am

I really want to participate in this, so I'll try to find some time tomorrow in between Advanced Grammar, writing poetry, and reading books that I can use to watch your psych class.
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

PostSubject: Re: More of a discussion...   More of a discussion... EmptyTue Jan 27, 2009 11:38 am

Here is the powerpoint that accompanies the lecture. I just started watching part of it online, and I apologize as the cameraman this time around wasn't that good, still watchable but it wasn't as good as actually being there. But ya if anyone does watch it I'd like to hear your thoughts.
Back to top Go down
diaster
Ultimate Sage
Ultimate Sage
diaster

Number of posts : 1378

Your Character
Primary Move: Wind Control

PostSubject: Re: More of a discussion...   More of a discussion... EmptyTue Jan 27, 2009 2:33 pm

ivr? what do you open that with?
Back to top Go down
SinisteRing
Webmaster
Webmaster
SinisteRing

Number of posts : 2032

Your Character
Primary Move: Telekinetic Choke

PostSubject: Re: More of a discussion...   More of a discussion... EmptyTue Jan 27, 2009 2:47 pm

First of all, tell them to get an High Definition camera... then I'll participate in your little side-game. I know what you look like, sure, but I both didn't spot you in the crowd nor would it be anywhere near possible with such a bad quality camera.

As for the actual lecture, I know why it seemed so striking. It's striking because he mentions that there are only 3 mental needs to a human. Control, Capability (or Content, I forget), and Connection. However, this is an extremely debatable area of psychology. The reason why is because does someone truly need these 3 things to feel satisfied intrinsically with what they're doing?

In my opinion, your teacher/professor is extremely smart by bringing these up, and I believe that he's hit the money on the 3 main feelings that are required. This is my proof:

When you feel you've lost control of something, such as how he explains reading in our school system ruins reading for pleasure, you no longer feel like you want to do it. During the summer of this year, I was reading the Blizzard books (Warcraft, Starcraft, and Diablo series) like mad... reading at least 1 chapter per day. When school started, about a week into it, I lost absolutely all interest in reading and I've still not finished the one I was reading. I haven't touched it in at least a month, and now I'm not even sure what the name of the book I was reading even was.

When you feel you're no longer able to do something, you give up on it. There is a person I sit next to during lunch each day who is able to do any Rubik's cube you hand to him... super-cube, triangle-cubes, or normal cubes of massive scales (I've seen him do an 11x11 cube in an hour and 10 minutes total time). When I attempt to do a measly 5x5, I give up, as I cannot get past a certain point and I feel like I'm worthless compared to other people. I've lost interest, and masked my amazement with this person with a shield of "I Don't Care That Much." A lousy substitute, but it works for the most part.

Lastly, when you feel you're no longer connected to others by doing something, you find yourself losing interest in that activity. When I first started doing Rubik's cubes at the beginning of the year, many people around me were interested in the idea. People who hadn't seen me do it before were amazed. In due time, they lost their interest and never commented on a cube I solved again. It just lost interest for them after time, and thus I lost interest because I no longer had the connection to others that I had before.

Going along with the above reason, the people showed interest initially because it satisfied their extrinsic needs. They wanted to see something amazing... they'd pay money to see something amusing. Who doesn't? It's like watching a magic show, to see something new and unique like the solving of a Rubik's cube. They found it very amusing at first, but it was an extrinsic feeling, because it's someone else doing everything instead of you.

There's nothing to connect that interest to you intrinsically. Extrinsic rewards die fast, while intrinsic rewards can last a long time or even until you die.

Perhaps he missed something, how others extrinsic rewards can affect your intrinsic rewards due to the fact you need to feel connected. I don't know, just my point of view.

P.S. Diaster, open it with Real Player.
Back to top Go down
https://zyncmmm.forumotion.com
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

PostSubject: Re: More of a discussion...   More of a discussion... EmptyTue Jan 27, 2009 5:37 pm

It's usually a lot better. I usually go to class in the first place, which is why I apologized for the bad quality and camera angles/zooming/panning etc.

I'll jump into the actual conversation once more people reply...I want to know what others think before I really say anything.

Also - it'd be like...impossible to find me. I knew where I sat and don't think I could do so.

And ya, realplayer.
Back to top Go down
SinisteRing
Webmaster
Webmaster
SinisteRing

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: More of a discussion...   More of a discussion... EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 12:06 pm

I'm quite surprised that no one has taken a look at this yet.
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Number of posts : 2358

Your Character
Primary Move: Cursed Waves (pwned much?)

PostSubject: Re: More of a discussion...   More of a discussion... EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 12:08 pm

I'm kinda lazy. Especially about watching things.
Back to top Go down
SinisteRing
Webmaster
Webmaster
SinisteRing

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: More of a discussion...   More of a discussion... EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 12:12 pm

It's interesting, you fluffcake. Watch it.
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Number of posts : 2358

Your Character
Primary Move: Cursed Waves (pwned much?)

PostSubject: Re: More of a discussion...   More of a discussion... EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 12:22 pm

I will... (Eventually)
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

PostSubject: Re: More of a discussion...   More of a discussion... EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 12:22 pm

It is trust me. All of my Psych lectures are, but this one is especially so - which is why I posted it. DO IT.
Back to top Go down
Rhys
Map Maker
Rhys

Number of posts : 719
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Your Character
Primary Move: Atomic Tea-Bag

PostSubject: Re: More of a discussion...   More of a discussion... EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 1:31 pm

you should ask your teacher if you can use a better camera in class so you can post his lectures for your internet friends to watch=)
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

PostSubject: Re: More of a discussion...   More of a discussion... EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 3:20 pm

It was the cameraman. It's usually a lot better, I can post another lecture to show you how the quality is not only better - but the panning, zooming etc. is actually done well. Not randomly and behind. Regardless - content of the lecture not the quality of it Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: More of a discussion...   More of a discussion... Empty

Back to top Go down

More of a discussion...
Page 1 of 1