Old Mages Magic & Mayhem Gamers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where the old players come back to what once was grand

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

A game that one of my friends is making.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Number of posts : 2358
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Cursed Waves (pwned much?)

A game that one of my friends is making. Empty
PostSubject: A game that one of my friends is making.   A game that one of my friends is making. EmptySun Dec 21, 2008 6:22 pm

This is more important than garbage, but not actually fitting any topic in the forum. Oh well, I'll just keep bumping it so it doesn't get deleted. Anyway, my friend is making a new game, and I was wondering if anyone here would be interested in helping test it, or offer suggestion. You know, the type of stuff that we are really good at around here.

WhitePhoenix wrote:
Project Nightmare: Advent
Your basic survival map in some respects, allowing you to take up either a ‘Zombie’ (To which the practical Hollywood definition does not apply) or a military officer. Project Nightmare, at least I’m planning, to make it a Trilogy, First being Advent, second being Reckoning, third being Zenith.

Storyline: Scientists in an underground military base somewhere in North America have been attempted to resurrect dead beings with nanotechnology, specifically, ‘nanobots’. Some minimal success was found almost immediately as the reanimation of dead rats and other mammals began moving around. Though disgusting in appearance, upon being fed the nanobots went about their blueprinted design: To reconstruct the organic life form to its former state, pre-death. The rats were fed daily, given different types of food. Meat, metals, and the like; everything was devoured. From a constant feeding an original life-like appearance was achieved in a very short time, the record being a few hours. However, the military was getting agitated with the amount of federal funds being pushed into the research with its current unstable economy. Better results were required, with practical applications. The true intentions of the Federal Government are unsure, all we can be sure of history is that the organization was established in the mindset of Lyndon Johnson’s Great Society, however much later in time.

The research eventually went to human dead bodies. It worked just as well, however there was a small miscalculation. Complete brain function revival is achieved at a certain point in the recovery. Not only does this strike up a terrible constitutional debate if it ever got out, but unfortunately, some of the zombies managed to break out first. God only knows what will happen when an uncontrolled revealing of the new nanotechnology to the world happens.
Features: You can play as either a Zombie or a Marine

Zombie Features: Use Flesh for various purposes Flesh is obtained from eating corpses, or metals, etc. Can be used to achieve human form again (thus becoming unrecognizable by site alone Reconstruct your body, or add additional bulk to certain parts of your body to protect the ‘core’ Mutate (as opposed to disguising), various different mutations will be possible Your level of intelligence (the state of your brain) will allow you to do many different things. i.e. open doors, communicate, etc.

Nanobots Zombies can be ‘killed’ by destroying the ‘core’ (which is a mass of nanobots that serves as a processing center to organize and control the rest of the nanobots throughout the body). Upon destroying the core nanobots will begin constructing a new one (which is the only function they will be able to do, making regeneration impossible). Burning the body when the core is destroyed, or using an EMP will kill all the nanobots within the body permanently.

Marine Features: Use various different weapons, ranging from a multitude of semi-automatic, to automatic, to miniguns and flamethrowers Upgrade your suit with special features, such as ‘detect nanobots’ Use grenades and other various items Specialize with marksmanship, demolition or many others. Focus fire to more easily destroy the core And more.

P.S. I can answer any questions you have.

Last edited by Dragonheart91 on Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Number of posts : 3470

Your Character
Level:
Primary Move: Moderate

PostSubject: Re: A game that one of my friends is making.   A game that one of my friends is making. EmptySun Dec 21, 2008 6:28 pm

Sounds like a real good ACTUAL game, don't know it would fare as a WC3 map. Generally creativity isn't wide spread on the custom games list on B.net. It's either an AoS, Arena or some sort of battleground like Enfos or Footies. I'd like to help offer balancing or possible testing if he needs it.
Back to top Go down
http://lolcatz.jayj
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: A game that one of my friends is making.   A game that one of my friends is making. EmptySun Dec 21, 2008 6:36 pm

WhitePhoenix says he automatically likes you because of your avatar.
Back to top Go down
kuro
Clan Chieftan
kuro

Number of posts : 1331
Registration date : 2008-05-31

Your Character
Level: 2
Primary Move: invoke

PostSubject: Re: A game that one of my friends is making.   A game that one of my friends is making. EmptySun Dec 21, 2008 6:37 pm

sounds epic.

any more news about it, let me know.
Back to top Go down
http://zyncmmm.act.st
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

PostSubject: Re: A game that one of my friends is making.   A game that one of my friends is making. EmptySun Dec 21, 2008 7:03 pm

Dragonheart91 wrote:
WhitePhoenix says he automatically likes you because of your avatar.

He has excellent taste Razz.
Back to top Go down
SinisteRing
Webmaster
Webmaster
SinisteRing

Number of posts : 2032

Your Character
Primary Move: Telekinetic Choke

PostSubject: Re: A game that one of my friends is making.   A game that one of my friends is making. EmptySun Dec 21, 2008 8:00 pm

The toughest part of making such a map work would be getting rid of the chat system and the mini-map.
Back to top Go down
https://zyncmmm.forumotion.com
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: A game that one of my friends is making.   A game that one of my friends is making. EmptySun Dec 21, 2008 8:28 pm

Yeah, eliminating the Mini-Map is easy, and the chat system can easily be changed so everyone shows up as a neutral chatter. That could be explained as the Zombies and Humans use the same radio frequency or whatever.
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

PostSubject: Re: A game that one of my friends is making.   A game that one of my friends is making. EmptySun Dec 21, 2008 8:54 pm

LOL @ trying to implement realism Razz. You could just stop chat, and make it appear above heads or something?
Back to top Go down
ÐeathByCyanide
GFX Artist
GFX Artist
ÐeathByCyanide

Number of posts : 524

Your Character
Primary Move: Combustion-

PostSubject: Re: A game that one of my friends is making.   A game that one of my friends is making. EmptySun Dec 21, 2008 9:12 pm

Jay.J wrote:
LOL @ trying to implement realism Razz. You could just stop chat, and make it appear above heads or something?

You can see floating text anywhere on the map... can't you?
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

PostSubject: Re: A game that one of my friends is making.   A game that one of my friends is making. EmptySun Dec 21, 2008 9:22 pm

O hmm ya you can, even if it's in fog. O well - that takes effort. Just tossing out ideas.
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: A game that one of my friends is making.   A game that one of my friends is making. EmptySun Dec 21, 2008 9:47 pm

I'm sure we would think of something, but really, why would the humans WANT to talk to the zombies?
Spoiler:

Edit: (Oops, spoiler.)
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: A game that one of my friends is making.   A game that one of my friends is making. EmptySun Dec 21, 2008 10:35 pm

More info and stuff from WhitePhoenix.

WhitePhoenix wrote:
Since Dragon said it was so popular, I guess I should try to go a little bit more in depth on the idea base. Zombies (To which I really need a better name), would operate under a currency called flesh.

-Flesh; accumulated through eating whatever, can be used to ‘bulk up’ a part of your body (to which every area you can bulk up, can also be focus fired on by a Marine). As well, you can convert different masses of cellular activity throughout the body. What I mean is, you have a chart: “% Fat Cells, % Muscle Cells”. The basic structure of skeletons and organs (discluding skin) will not be changeable except through mutation. However, you can change the disruption of fat and muscle on your body (The more muscle you have, the more your movement is effected when damaged, the more fat you have, the less effective you are, (Essentially there is a happy equilibrium that needs to be reached and maintained)). Bulking a lot of fat where your core is established will increase the changes of it surviving a direct hit. Muscle cells can’t be built to ‘engulf’ at the core, they can only be added to the natural muscular areas. You can simply allow your nanobots to go about the natural design pre-established, and find some clothing and walk around as a normal human if you want or bulk up your muscles, add some fat, and being a walking zombified wrestler if you want.
-Mutations: They will come later in the game, but before the mid-game. Essentially the story-line leads you into the ability to mutate if you do so choose, and is also going to be a major cut scene, and faction-ilization of the zombies.

If you want to theorize some Mutations, feel free. Here are some of the current ones that have come to my mind:

“Fleshling”: The zombie sends some of his own flesh and nanobots into a dead corpse, creating a ‘fleshling’. The most basic abilities of a fleshling are the ability to climb along walls, and the ceiling, as well devour humans at a must quicker rate via an acid secretion instead of claws and death. They also move a very fast past. However, they are small and ball shaped, so hitting the core is very easy.

“Blood Pact”: The zombie lets out some of his own blood, with nanobots inside of it. The blood then moves around freely like a ‘goo’, entering corpses or whatever you want it to do. If a unit walks over a corpse when it is taking refugee inside it, it can jump out and ‘entangle’ the target, burning into the suit/flesh, and holding him in place with the corpse. It can also be used to active traps such as EMPs leaving the zombie at a safe distance, as well as short circuit electric ‘things’ such as lights.

“Shadow Trickery”: Ok, I have no realistic explanation for this one, but who cares. Zombies can take control over shadows, making a shadow spawn. The shadow spawn can become just a ‘shadow’ (or burrow), go along walls and ceilings. They can block out light in any given area, and blind a target. As well as drain the target of ‘mana’ (which will probably be called energy in the game). They can also drain any other electric source.

“Abomination”: This one shouldn’t be that difficult to understand, if the zombie acquires enough flesh he can slowly become an ‘abomination’. Just imagine Pudge for the ability spread, but don’t expect me to just rip from it.

Then there are Marines. Marines will have a large range of weapons, and a large range of ammunition to go with the weapons as well. Grenades: Shock, Fragment, and Smoke, medical packs, traps, barriers, explosives of many different kinds, stimpacks, drugs, adrenaline injections, turrets and a multitude of other combat ready apparatuses.

The main point though would be upgrading the suit. Basic upgrades would be available such as increasing movement speed, energy, strength, decreasing weight, and so on. (Weight will play a large role in that, movement speed will be dynamic: or in laymen’s terms, shoot a zombie in the legs, he’ll move slower, or even fall down and crawl).

Some of the more advanced ideas however are:

“Detect Nanobots”: which allows you to see a zombie; blood ‘thing’ or what have you that is moving about.

“Secretion”: Which secrets the outside of your suit with a chemical poison to flesh, making fleshlings or anything else that wants to attack you head on in for some trouble.

“Medical Serf”: A small ball rolls around your suit repairing it when you are not in battle

So, if you would like to hypothesize about possible mutations or suit upgrades, I’m all ears.
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

PostSubject: Re: A game that one of my friends is making.   A game that one of my friends is making. EmptySun Dec 21, 2008 11:54 pm

Sounds cool, slightly complicated however - which may further reduce popularity amongst custom maps as people, since not only is it not a mainstream map, but it's also slightly complicated.
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: A game that one of my friends is making.   A game that one of my friends is making. EmptyMon Dec 22, 2008 2:01 am

I dunno, there are similar maps that are very popular. (I'm looking at you NoTD.)
Back to top Go down
kuro
Clan Chieftan
kuro

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: A game that one of my friends is making.   A game that one of my friends is making. EmptyMon Dec 22, 2008 2:51 am

for the shadow thing this is what i think the... explanation... of it should be:

-the zombie detaches some nanobots from its core. the nanobots operate as one entity, absorbing energy, climbing up walls, and even absorbing energy from electrical and organic sources. over time they are able to upgrade themselves, eventually gaining the ability to manipulate light; absorbing light sources and releasing energy as light, possibly blinding nearby targets. however, once they break off from the original zombie (as they constantly upgrades themselves), they cannot rejoin it.

zombie mutation:

~marine~
-not so sure about this, but its something like... if a marine dies, the zombie is able to take advantage of the present technology in the suit to upgrade itself to higher, stronger stages at a fast rate.

skills:
-antinano
.....releases some nanobots that destroy nanobots-- basically places a DPS on a zombie. deals extra damage to shadow/nanobeasts (which depend on nanos) but deals less to things more organically based... say, pudge. but regular zombies take average damage.

-*random zombie skill for some zombie, EVIL NANOBOTS or something*
.....sends out some of the nanobots from the core at an enemy, which begin editing their flesh, effectively causing them great pain and disabling them. (

see below for other variations)

.....sends out some nanobots which carry decaying flesh, which attach it to an enemy body, giving them diseases/pain/an extra arm that punches them/etc
.....sends out some nanobots which plant a virus in the suit of an enemy (or tech), causing a malfuction. may drain mana, disable attacking, make them move slower, shoot their ally... etc.

ps tell whitephoenix that i think the game will be awesome and im sorry for him not being able to play mm&m Sad
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: A game that one of my friends is making.   A game that one of my friends is making. EmptyMon Dec 22, 2008 3:16 am

He didn't really care about that game. He was just bored.
Back to top Go down
SinisteRing
Webmaster
Webmaster
SinisteRing

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: A game that one of my friends is making.   A game that one of my friends is making. EmptyMon Dec 22, 2008 3:23 am

No, this game will not work as planned. Even in the most complex maps I've seen, you're unable to remove the chat. You just open up the chat log and everything that everyone's said is there, with their name attached. There is no way to simply "remove" communication in a map on Warcraft 3... it will always be there.

Removing the mini-map is possible, but complex, hard, and requires you to sacrifice quite a few things to obtain the correct effect for it. Considering that the lights blink if the unit is a hero, they will be unable to use heroes as the characters if they wish to completely remove the minimap part of it. This includes other things as well which might get slightly more complex than necessary.

Truly, the only way to make this map work as planned would require so many sacrifices that the end product would be deformed, mis-shaped, and overall the game just wouldn't look that good.

They either need to reconsider a few things, or this guy is gonna end up with a hell of a lot of work on his hands, to only come out with a bunch of foul sacrifices which must be made to completely obliterate the overall point of the game. With the overall point of the game will fall the gameplay and enjoyment.
Back to top Go down
kuro
Clan Chieftan
kuro

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: A game that one of my friends is making.   A game that one of my friends is making. EmptyMon Dec 22, 2008 4:30 am

im pretty sure you can just rename a person and, in the chatbox, it will be that name... right?

im also pretty sure that you can make it so that when a person says BLAH, a trigger can...trigger... and make it say BLEH or nothing at all instead.

due to the "display message for" function, coupled with a chat editor and/or renamer thing, a person can say something (and if theyre a zombie a marine cant hear it unless theyre a SMART zombie) a trigger can replace that message so that enemies cant see the message while allies can.

tell me if im wrong, but while fooling around with the editor and viewing some other maps im preeety sure this is possible.
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: A game that one of my friends is making.   A game that one of my friends is making. EmptyMon Dec 22, 2008 11:26 am

#1 He never said anything about wanting to remove chat. I don't even think that's necessary.

#2 It's easy to just black out the mini-map.

#3 We never intended to use heroes. Not that it had been ruled out.

Do you have any other issues or pessimistic views to express? Of maybe you have a suggestion or idea?
Back to top Go down
kuro
Clan Chieftan
kuro

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: A game that one of my friends is making.   A game that one of my friends is making. EmptyMon Dec 22, 2008 2:40 pm

i just made a great suggestion Sad

like, in WoW, when someone of the opposite faction says something, it comes it wierd; like if they say "i like pie" it might become "e reyt bjm".

by clearing the messages whilst manipulating them, it is quite possible for some people to not understand the zombie/person while another can. (comprehension could be affected by zombie intelligence)
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

PostSubject: Re: A game that one of my friends is making.   A game that one of my friends is making. EmptyMon Dec 22, 2008 3:37 pm

That's actually brilliant Kuro.
Back to top Go down
ÐeathByCyanide
GFX Artist
GFX Artist
ÐeathByCyanide

Number of posts : 524

Your Character
Primary Move: Combustion-

PostSubject: Re: A game that one of my friends is making.   A game that one of my friends is making. EmptyMon Dec 22, 2008 3:41 pm

That's how DarkRevenant's chat system works in Phase Killer.
Back to top Go down
kuro
Clan Chieftan
kuro

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: A game that one of my friends is making.   A game that one of my friends is making. EmptyMon Dec 22, 2008 4:28 pm

o, well, im his friend. i help him test games every now and then.

but i did come up with that idea myself Razz

(i got the idea through WoW and a game where, if you said 'blah,' it would clear the chat, make your name all bolded and special looking, and then display it)
Back to top Go down
SinisteRing
Webmaster
Webmaster
SinisteRing

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: A game that one of my friends is making.   A game that one of my friends is making. EmptyMon Dec 22, 2008 6:07 pm

Dragonheart91 wrote:
#1 He never said anything about wanting to remove chat. I don't even think that's necessary.

WhitePhoenix wrote:
Your level of intelligence (the state of your brain) will allow you to do many different things. i.e. open doors, communicate, etc.
Basically, I thought he was saying that at the beginning stages, you wont be allowed to communicate. Sorry if I misunderstood.

Oh, and besides that, even with a blacked-out minimap, it would be difficult to make sure that you cannot see what sticks out... like other units... unless they're the same black as the mini-map.

But yes, I am being a pessimist. Want to know why? Because I'll always win. If it comes out a great game, then fantastic... there's a whole great game to play to make me happy. If it comes out to suck, I get the "I told ya so." It's my common personality.
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: A game that one of my friends is making.   A game that one of my friends is making. EmptyMon Dec 22, 2008 6:38 pm

Maybe he was, but nothing is really set in stone right now. I think me meant more like communicating with NPCs though.

Most likely this won't go anywhere. He has made dozens of amazing maps over the years, but he never actually finishes any of them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A game that one of my friends is making.   A game that one of my friends is making. Empty

Back to top Go down

A game that one of my friends is making.
Page 1 of 1