Old Mages Magic & Mayhem Gamers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where the old players come back to what once was grand

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Global spells (Wind/Holy)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Number of posts : 3470
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Your Character
Level:
Primary Move: Moderate

Global spells (Wind/Holy) Empty
PostSubject: Global spells (Wind/Holy)   Global spells (Wind/Holy) EmptyThu Aug 28, 2008 10:30 am

Just curious on peoples views on global spells. Spells that affect the entire map, or are not limited by range. Personaly, I'm not sure. Not saying that there is a planned global spell or anything - just wondering what the community though about it Smile. I think it MIGHT be workable for support spells, but not for any type of offensive. The reason being is that, atleast in -anns, or tournament 62 games - you can have one team that uses a "Global" team and then kills the Archer or Paladin, or something without even leaving base, or camping fountain or something gay. Now, of course, we could make it so those spells don't work on NPC heroes, but it's still gay because...well you're not in range for gold or exp. Global offense doesn't work in a system where you don't get exp/gold for the actual kills, but for your presense instead.

Anywho, and EXAMPLE spell (Not what I would neccisarily suggest) is this:

Breath of Life (1 level) [C]

Effect: Using the wind currents, the mage breathes life into his allies. All creeps get a ressuruction buff, which upon their death will bring them back to life (Can be dispelled). Makes all allies move at max speed while channeled. Also gives a 50HP/Second regen to mages while channeled.

Mana Cost: 250
Casting Type: Channel
Casting Range: Global
Cooldown: 41 seconds
Move speed increase: 250% (Will bring units to max movespeed, but still able to be slowed down, but barely)
HP Regen (Heroes only): 50Hp/Second
Ressuruction (Creeps only): Brings them back to full HP after dying.
Skill Point Cost: 21

Total Skill Point Cost: 21

I don't know. That's just an example, off the top of my head, and I didn't spend ANY time theorycrafting numbers or anything. I don't expect this to be anywhere near balanced, however do you guys think that Global spells can be balanced, and even then have a place in this game?

Discuss.
Back to top Go down
http://lolcatz.jayj
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Number of posts : 2358

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Cursed Waves (pwned much?)

PostSubject: Re: Global spells (Wind/Holy)   Global spells (Wind/Holy) EmptyThu Aug 28, 2008 10:45 am

I still think range should be a factor. Even in a spell such as that, the person channeling should have to be near the battle. We could use a few very long range spells, but I don't think global is a good idea.
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Global spells (Wind/Holy)   Global spells (Wind/Holy) EmptyThu Aug 28, 2008 12:22 pm

Alright, for those who don't think global spells shouldn't be implemented, even as support, what should be the furthest range of a spell?

Also, what's the Exp/Gold range currently? And the furthest spell currently? I assume it's either crushing wave with gear, or GG...I don't know how far it bounces.
Back to top Go down
Lagger09
Legendary
Legendary
Lagger09

Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Your Character
Primary Move: I am the Destroyer of Time... guess...

PostSubject: Re: Global spells (Wind/Holy)   Global spells (Wind/Holy) EmptyThu Aug 28, 2008 12:54 pm

Magic missile ne1? w/ 2500 its the farthest, but Crushing wave is 1000 w/ item. GG is around 750 for the first bounce, so maybe up to 1300 or so.
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Global spells (Wind/Holy)   Global spells (Wind/Holy) EmptyThu Aug 28, 2008 1:05 pm

You need to add the aoe to the range for the full range. Granite Grenade does half distance right? So it would be 1312.5 range. Then you have to add in the aoe, which I think is about 250.

Flare also has large casting range and even larger aoe. It might beat Magic Missile, someone should check.

I think the largest range anything aoe should have is about 2000. For other things, it would have to depend on the spell.
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Global spells (Wind/Holy)   Global spells (Wind/Holy) EmptyThu Aug 28, 2008 2:19 pm

O pfft, Flare and Magic missle >.<. Whatever Razz. Anywho, actual opinions on Globals Lagger?
Back to top Go down
Lagger09
Legendary
Legendary
Lagger09

Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Your Character
Primary Move: I am the Destroyer of Time... guess...

PostSubject: Re: Global spells (Wind/Holy)   Global spells (Wind/Holy) EmptyThu Aug 28, 2008 3:58 pm

I think that if they are balanced, and they work well as a spell idea, I would fully suppory them, and I like the concept of global spells, as you may have noticed, most of my spell ideas tend to be big, game-changing/push-wiping spells. I do also see the difficulty of not getting the kill XP/gold, and also balanceing w/ killing the NPC heros w/o leaving the base.

One of my ideas for a global spell is essentially an HP regen remover/invis detection, simply dealing a small amount of damage constanly, like 1-2 dmg. This allows people to see where invis units are, and counters some regen, all without being able to kill someone.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Global spells (Wind/Holy)   Global spells (Wind/Holy) EmptyFri Sep 05, 2008 12:51 am

ME think global Spells SHOULD be in map but have a LONG cooldown like a 3-5 minuet cooldown

this is a good idea n should be like 4 minuets

like every element combos has 1 that have LONG cooldowns and are VERY StRoNg
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Global spells (Wind/Holy)   Global spells (Wind/Holy) EmptyFri Sep 05, 2008 12:57 am

Book Toggling resets cooldowns, making any cooldown over 22 seconds ineffectual. Nice try.
Back to top Go down
diaster
Ultimate Sage
Ultimate Sage
diaster

Number of posts : 1378

Your Character
Primary Move: Wind Control

PostSubject: Re: Global spells (Wind/Holy)   Global spells (Wind/Holy) EmptyFri Sep 05, 2008 1:34 am

ya no global spells...spells with large aoe sure but not global.
Back to top Go down
ÐeathByCyanide
GFX Artist
GFX Artist
ÐeathByCyanide

Number of posts : 524

Your Character
Primary Move: Combustion-

PostSubject: Re: Global spells (Wind/Holy)   Global spells (Wind/Holy) EmptyFri Sep 05, 2008 4:44 pm

"Total Skill Point Cost: 21" ?

If nova is still 28, please fix that... o.O
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Global spells (Wind/Holy)   Global spells (Wind/Holy) Empty

Back to top Go down

Global spells (Wind/Holy)
Page 1 of 1