Old Mages Magic & Mayhem Gamers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where the old players come back to what once was grand

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Music - Returning to the Past

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Bartimaeus
Bartimaeus

Number of posts : 865
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Inferno

Music - Returning to the Past - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music - Returning to the Past   Music - Returning to the Past - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 30, 2009 7:17 pm

Jay.J wrote:
[quote="M.I.A"Most the time when I go into the studio to sing, I get really bored. If I'm going to sing then I'm going to have to sing a bit weird. But with that one I just woke up and just sang the whole song in one go. It was in the morning and I wasn't thinking too much. I hadn't brushed my teeth. [The sample of the gun reloading and then the cash register ringing] was a joke. I was having this stupid visa problem and I didn't know what it was, aside from them thinking that I might to fly a plane into the Trade Center - which is the only reason that they would put me through this. I actually recorded that in Brooklyn, in Bed-Stuy. I was thinking about living there, waking up every morning - it's such an African neighborhood. I was going to get patties at my local and just thinking that really the worst thing that anyone can say [to someone these days] is some s--t like: 'What I wanna do is come and get your money.' People don't really feel like immigrants or refugees contribute to culture in any way. That they're just leeches that suck from whatever. So in the song I say 'All I wanna do is [sound of gun shooting and reloading, cash register opening] and take your money.' I did it in sound effects. It's up to you how you want to interpret. America is so obsessed with money, I'm sure they'll get it."

From Faber Magazine.

Paper Planes wrote:
Pirate skulls and bones
Sticks and stones and weed and bombs
Running when we hit them
Lethal poison through their system

It's up to interpretation, like most songs. She does mention all that other stuff before though. Anyway, I view it as more of a satirical song, more like "Why would that be all I want to do?" then, that's actually what I want to do.[/quote]

I have no idea what that quote is from. M.I.A. I assume, is the name of the band that made the song. When listening to it by itself, it sure doesn't seem very satirical. Now, Tom Lehrer...HE'S satirical. And more obvious about it.
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Number of posts : 3470
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Your Character
Level:
Primary Move: Moderate

Music - Returning to the Past - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music - Returning to the Past   Music - Returning to the Past - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 30, 2009 8:45 pm

Edited my last post because I forgot a bracket >.>.

Ya, MIA is the band name - and it isn't, like I said earlier, explicit about the content.
Back to top Go down
http://lolcatz.jayj

Music - Returning to the Past
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2