Old Mages Magic & Mayhem Gamers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where the old players come back to what once was grand

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Music - Returning to the Past

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
SinisteRing
Webmaster
Webmaster
SinisteRing

Number of posts : 2032
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Telekinetic Choke

Music - Returning to the Past Empty
PostSubject: Music - Returning to the Past   Music - Returning to the Past EmptySat Jun 27, 2009 4:05 pm

Recently, I've been having a really weird turn in my musical tastes. I've been revisiting all of the songs I used to love when I didn't have an iPod at the time. I've returned to some bands that I haven't listened to in a long time. It's been quite strange, and I wanted to share a bit with you all.

First off, this is my current favorite song.

The next band was on the radio a long time ago and I loved the music. Since then, I've come back to it.

I've returned to the 2 bands that were split between Blink 182. These 2 bands combined used to make up Blink 182.

That's pretty much it.
Back to top Go down
https://zyncmmm.forumotion.com
ÐeathByCyanide
GFX Artist
GFX Artist
ÐeathByCyanide

Number of posts : 524

Your Character
Primary Move: Combustion-

PostSubject: Re: Music - Returning to the Past   Music - Returning to the Past EmptySat Jun 27, 2009 5:13 pm

Are you intending this to become a "What are you listening to?" thread?

I used to listen to those bands Sinister, until I realized most of them are way too simple for me. How do I put this... A lot of the singers for those type of bands have annoying voices... a little "queer" sounding is the only way I can put this. Example: The singer of the White Tie Affair. It's just... annoying... Although I like Angels & Airwaves.

Everyone goes through that stage though, listening to their very first preferred choices.

Last three are what Ive been listening to for the last few days: http://www.playlist.com/playlist/16905777163
Back to top Go down
Bartimaeus
Bartimaeus

Number of posts : 865

Your Character
Primary Move: Inferno

PostSubject: Re: Music - Returning to the Past   Music - Returning to the Past EmptySun Jun 28, 2009 4:51 am

Songs that I won't usually listen to:

The Proclaimers - I'm Gonna Be

Imogen Heap - Hide & Seek. The lyrics suck, but I kind of like her voice.

M.I.A. - Paper Planes.

Super Sweep Slide.

and/or Cha Cha Slide due to the shenanigans of my friends' TF2 shenanigans servers! The actual song sucks, but it's absolutely hilarious to play to in a TF2 dance server. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ÐeathByCyanide
GFX Artist
GFX Artist
ÐeathByCyanide

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Music - Returning to the Past   Music - Returning to the Past EmptySun Jun 28, 2009 11:21 am

Bartimaeus wrote:

M.I.A. - Paper Planes.

Super Sweep Slide.

and/or Cha Cha Slide due to the shenanigans of my friends' TF2 shenanigans servers! The actual song sucks, but it's absolutely hilarious to play to in a TF2 dance server. Very Happy

I read this in the middle of the night, and thought you said this IS what you listen to. Lol.. Paper Planes is such a terrible song.
Back to top Go down
SinisteRing
Webmaster
Webmaster
SinisteRing

Number of posts : 2032

Your Character
Primary Move: Telekinetic Choke

PostSubject: Re: Music - Returning to the Past   Music - Returning to the Past EmptySun Jun 28, 2009 1:05 pm

ÐeathByCyanide wrote:
Paper Planes is such a terrible song.
Agreed fully.
Back to top Go down
https://zyncmmm.forumotion.com
Bartimaeus
Bartimaeus

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Music - Returning to the Past   Music - Returning to the Past EmptySun Jun 28, 2009 5:08 pm

ÐeathByCyanide wrote:
Bartimaeus wrote:

M.I.A. - Paper Planes.

Super Sweep Slide.

I read this in the middle of the night, and thought you said this IS what you listen to. Lol.. Paper Planes is such a terrible song.

Well, it's strange, really. I hate the words, but, again, I like the tune and voice.
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Number of posts : 3470

Your Character
Level:
Primary Move: Moderate

PostSubject: Re: Music - Returning to the Past   Music - Returning to the Past EmptySun Jun 28, 2009 6:02 pm

What's wrong with the words? She's talking about what she thinks....about images perceived by people towards immigrants and youth. Singing/rapping about issues you care about, opposed to sex, money and drugs is a lot better I think.
Back to top Go down
http://lolcatz.jayj
AquaAscension
Legendary
Legendary

Number of posts : 580

Your Character
Primary Move: Flying Dragon Kick

PostSubject: Re: Music - Returning to the Past   Music - Returning to the Past EmptySun Jun 28, 2009 8:40 pm

Check out artists like Sage Francis, Atmosphere, and others for lyrics that are about current issues... also listen to some Def (slam) poetry. Probably some of the best commentary on current issues resides in those... in addition to some humor and love poems of course.

@ DBC A little bit surprised by Linkin Park song on there. Still goes along with the standard of most music with some new "experimental" sounds to it (new to Linkin Park at least). And a Dream Theater song I haven't heard of before, cool.

@ All: My dad gave me some awesome music and here are a couple of their... AWESOME songs. Note*: It is progressive rock, but it has some pop elements to it. It takes awhile for the first song "Hyperventilate" to get really good, but it's worth the listen for sure. Check em out:

Hyperventilate - Frost*

Black Light Machine - Frost*
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Music - Returning to the Past   Music - Returning to the Past EmptySun Jun 28, 2009 9:55 pm

I like it. It's a new sound to me. It's interesting, though the first song is boring until like 1:50, then it picks up. Second song starts good, and I feel it drags on. A little too long.
Back to top Go down
AquaAscension
Legendary
Legendary

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Music - Returning to the Past   Music - Returning to the Past EmptyMon Jun 29, 2009 12:04 am

A bit, but I guess you don't get the "Wow that's SOOOO COOL when it sounds like it's straight out of Sonic The Hedgehog Emerald Hill Zone?"

I just like how it switches styles twice (for a total of 3 styles) and while the 1st and second styles sound similar, the guitar work in the 2nd part is fantastic. Like just sound-gasm.

(Not "get" as in understand, but "get" as in find it cool, like I do. Differences aye.)

And I did preface the music by saying that the first song would be slow.

And if you didn't listen to the "Emerald Hill Zone" part of "Black Light Machine", then you McFail. That part of the song starts at about 7:15 into it.

And I guess I should totally disagree that it drags on. There are some slow parts, but that's what's cool about it. Most songs today don't have real composition in that manner. They have "quiet" parts, but it's mostly just the same formula with a one note difference in the melody. There's the same chord progressions. My friend can pretty much guess what the chord progression is going to be if it's a pop song. You expect a simple difference and the same sounds after awhile.

So, the brain will fire at the same frequency at which it hears a pitch. I.e., if the pitch vibrates at 100 hertz, the brain will have a frequency of 100 hertz (the hearing cells at least - by frequency I mean that's at what speed the Neurons will fire - This is Your Brain on Music by Daniel J. Levitin). Perhaps the reason that Classical music supposedly helps us to become smarter is because it has many different sounds and changes the melody in an interesting and, I could say, engaging way.

Check out today's music (most of it) and listen to how similar it all sounds. Yeah, it's great for putting something on that covers up silence, but that's about how far it goes.

This doesn't apply to music that actually makes one think (like spoken word hip hop/rap music - I.e. underground, not popular music). Of course, saying that is like saying that all popular music is bad... which it's *not*. It's just similar. Things don't need to be unique, but how about interesting? Just a bit?
Back to top Go down
ÐeathByCyanide
GFX Artist
GFX Artist
ÐeathByCyanide

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Music - Returning to the Past   Music - Returning to the Past EmptyMon Jun 29, 2009 1:12 am

AquaAscension wrote:
Check out artists like Sage Francis, Atmosphere, and others for lyrics that are about current issues... also listen to some Def (slam) poetry. Probably some of the best commentary on current issues resides in those... in addition to some humor and love poems of course.

@ DBC A little bit surprised by Linkin Park song on there. Still goes along with the standard of most music with some new "experimental" sounds to it (new to Linkin Park at least). And a Dream Theater song I haven't heard of before, cool.

@ All: My dad gave me some awesome music and here are a couple of their... AWESOME songs. Note*: It is progressive rock, but it has some pop elements to it. It takes awhile for the first song "Hyperventilate" to get really good, but it's worth the listen for sure. Check em out:

Hyperventilate - Frost*

Black Light Machine - Frost*

Yeah, I'm a long time Linkin park fan. They've gotten so much better, but people just don't see that... It really annoys me because people think they're terrible now since they changed their sound. The Dream Theater song, Count Of Tuscany is on their new album. You should check it out.

Ive been interested in... Well, I don't even know what to classify it as... Music similar to to tracks they used in the second matrix. Artists like Clint Mansell, Rob Dougan, Juno Reactor, and E.S. Posthumus.

Jesus, I listened to Hyperventilate. It's incredible... even though progressive bands always seem have the same sound. Well I guess that may be true in most genres, but I notice it the most in progressive... Oh, and you should listen to some of Jordan Rudess's music, if you haven't before.
Back to top Go down
Bartimaeus
Bartimaeus

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Music - Returning to the Past   Music - Returning to the Past EmptyMon Jun 29, 2009 2:18 am

Jay.J wrote:
What's wrong with the words? She's talking about what she thinks....about images perceived by people towards immigrants and youth. Singing/rapping about issues you care about, opposed to sex, money and drugs is a lot better I think.

Sure, sure. But she's:

a.) still rapping
b.) talking about killing people for money
c.) still shooting people! drunken
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Music - Returning to the Past   Music - Returning to the Past EmptyMon Jun 29, 2009 11:03 am

@Aqua: Perhaps - but it's because it switches styles, that I think it could be 3 different songs within itself opposed to one song. I also love the citation. Eh, I don't really listen to enough music to evaluate it critically like you really seem to be able to >.>. That's probably my problem.

@Bart: Not really. She's rapping....but so what, broaden your taste in music? She's actually talking about the image that's given to foreigners (Like herself) and youth (Like herself) and how they're perceived as being people who come to the country and take your jobs or how they're perceived as being lazy and doing nothing productive and taking your money through other means (Each group having the respective stereotype). "All I want to do is take your money (Gunshots) (Cash Register)". It's not explicit, and you wouldn't pick up on it unless you were looking for it or were told, and even then - you're presumably a white, conservative male - who, in all likelihood would not really relate to this song, and at possibly even be the cause of the outlook (Conservatives seems to have this perception more so).
Back to top Go down
AquaAscension
Legendary
Legendary

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Music - Returning to the Past   Music - Returning to the Past EmptyMon Jun 29, 2009 2:25 pm

You guys can actually understand the lyrics in that song? Powers of observation or willingness to look up lyrics > than mine.

@ DBC: I have a couple of Jordan Rudess' solo albums. I like some of his stuff but the other is meh. You must explain your comment of "all progressive sounds the same." If that is true of progressive, then you could use that argument of nearly every genre of music.

@ Jay: Splitting one song into 3 when it's all telling one story is kind of silly. Also, you know that music itself can tell a story right? The notes and rhythm help to inform the emotional context of a song. Not to mention (tangent-going now) the last song on the Frost* CD is 26 minutes long and also switches styles but that's because it's telling an epic story that's based on some book (according to a wiki article).
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Music - Returning to the Past   Music - Returning to the Past EmptyMon Jun 29, 2009 2:38 pm

See, first time around I listen to a song, I don't actually listen to lyrics unless they're really easy. Didn't realize it was telling a story. I'll give it another listen. O, and I don't see why you can't divide a story/song up, especially when it changes styles.

I mean, a single book has more than one chapter. A series has more than one book. A saga has more than one volume. Etc. Why wouldn't a single song/story be able to be divided up into several smaller ones, as some people may like certain parts and not others. Especially on things like iTunes or something - it's just easier to pull out your favorite thing. They keep the same material, it just makes it easier for their audience, so they're not really selling out, but are presumably still broadening their audience.
Back to top Go down
AquaAscension
Legendary
Legendary

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Music - Returning to the Past   Music - Returning to the Past EmptyMon Jun 29, 2009 4:21 pm

Aye, but your analogy is flawed because, even though a book is split into several different chapters, it is still part of the same whole. According to your analogy, it would be adequate to split up a book into several small pamphlets and then sell them in units. That's the image I get when I think about splitting the song up into several different parts. Plus, I think it's all part of the listening experience (which is one thing that sucks about prog rock). I.e., you get more out of the music but you can't really listen to it at any time - it requires more time to be able to just sit and relax to or listen.

It'd be like listening to classical music in 3 minute bursts (and I'm talking about the long songs). You'd get some parts that are good, other parts that are slow, other parts that are OMG AMAZING, but that would take away from the experience of just chilling and listening to the tones and the rhythms. Ya?

Then there's music that is good for doing stuff to because you don't have to devote your attention to it. That, in my opinion, is most pop music. It's good for the background because it doesn't need your full attention, but the drawback is that you just don't get as much out of it (and by "you" I mean "me/I").
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Music - Returning to the Past   Music - Returning to the Past EmptyMon Jun 29, 2009 5:06 pm

But, I go on. I say a series has more than one book, or episode (And a saga more than one series). It's like the difference between a movie and a TV show. They both tell a story, however one is beefed up and has more sidestories or what have you (TV) while the other one is condensed and but is given to you in one sitting (Movies).

I guess it, as you said in your last paragraph, matters more about what you're going to do with the music. I prefer to have music in the background, or at least, do it more often.
Back to top Go down
ÐeathByCyanide
GFX Artist
GFX Artist
ÐeathByCyanide

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Music - Returning to the Past   Music - Returning to the Past EmptyMon Jun 29, 2009 7:16 pm

AquaAscension wrote:
You guys can actually understand the lyrics in that song? Powers of observation or willingness to look up lyrics > than mine.

@ DBC: I have a couple of Jordan Rudess' solo albums. I like some of his stuff but the other is meh. You must explain your comment of "all progressive sounds the same." If that is true of progressive, then you could use that argument of nearly every genre of music.

Most of progressive bands seem to have the same sounds... For instance most of the newer bands seem to sound almost exactly or very similar to Octavarium (The album) by Dream Theater, or vice versa.

My favorite Sonic song, since I used to play the trumpet, which somehow makes me attracted to any song with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFTVuLKTnV8
Back to top Go down
AquaAscension
Legendary
Legendary

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Music - Returning to the Past   Music - Returning to the Past EmptyMon Jun 29, 2009 9:03 pm

Maybe I'm not up on the latest progressive rock, but I don't notice a ton of bands that sound really similar to Octavarium. I think you need to define your terms a little more clearly or at least show some examples.

Besides that, Octavarium is essentially taking a ton of Dream Theater's old albums/songs and playing them in a new way. I.e. the first track of Octavarium, "The Root of All Evil" has a riff (and a bit of melody) taken directly out of "This Dying Soul" off of their "Train of Thought" album. So, perhaps one of the reasons that a lot of crap sounds so similar to Octavarium is because Octa. itself is essentially a compilation of the 7 other Dream Theater CD's. That's a ton of different types of music all rolled into one.
Back to top Go down
Bartimaeus
Bartimaeus

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Music - Returning to the Past   Music - Returning to the Past EmptyTue Jun 30, 2009 8:52 am

Jay.J wrote:
@Bart: Not really. She's rapping....but so what, broaden your taste in music? She's actually talking about the image that's given to foreigners (Like herself) and youth (Like herself) and how they're perceived as being people who come to the country and take your jobs or how they're perceived as being lazy and doing nothing productive and taking your money through other means (Each group having the respective stereotype). "All I want to do is take your money (Gunshots) (Cash Register)". It's not explicit, and you wouldn't pick up on it unless you were looking for it or were told, and even then - you're presumably a white, conservative male - who, in all likelihood would not really relate to this song, and at possibly even be the cause of the outlook (Conservatives seems to have this perception more so).

My tastes do not need to be broadened. Rather, the type of material in rap needs to be broadened so it can dispel its bad rep for being what you mentioned aforehand.

How could you not see it? It's very explicit. All I want to do is (bam bam bam bam), and a (money/cash register sound), take your money is rather obvious. However, I feel kind of biased because I don't really like lyrics with music, and I 99% hate rap. Sorry. Also, when I listen to a song, rather than listen to it mindlessly, I look for what it means.

Actually, I heard the song Slumdog Millionaire. Very good movie. No, of course I don't relate to the song in any way. How could I? Anyone who's listened to it can't, because they don't live in that kind of living conditions where they don't have access to that kind of content. Rather silly of you to mention that. When you're fighting for your life for basic needs, music is the last of your concerns.
Back to top Go down
ÐeathByCyanide
GFX Artist
GFX Artist
ÐeathByCyanide

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Music - Returning to the Past   Music - Returning to the Past EmptyTue Jun 30, 2009 9:37 am

AquaAscension wrote:
Maybe I'm not up on the latest progressive rock, but I don't notice a ton of bands that sound really similar to Octavarium. I think you need to define your terms a little more clearly or at least show some examples.

Besides that, Octavarium is essentially taking a ton of Dream Theater's old albums/songs and playing them in a new way. I.e. the first track of Octavarium, "The Root of All Evil" has a riff (and a bit of melody) taken directly out of "This Dying Soul" off of their "Train of Thought" album. So, perhaps one of the reasons that a lot of crap sounds so similar to Octavarium is because Octa. itself is essentially a compilation of the 7 other Dream Theater CD's. That's a ton of different types of music all rolled into one.

I don't mean the style it's played in, I mean the actual sound. I think it's mainly the synths from the keyboard I'm talking about.
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Music - Returning to the Past   Music - Returning to the Past EmptyTue Jun 30, 2009 11:38 am

Quote :
My tastes do not need to be broadened. Rather, the type of material in rap needs to be broadened so it can dispel its bad rep for being what you mentioned aforehand.
That's the thing...most mainstream rap is that. However, there are plenty of less known rappers that talk about issues, that you would never look into because you already have closed your doors towards rap, and then say they should be coming into your house anyway.

Quote :
How could you not see it? It's very explicit. All I want to do is (bam bam bam bam), and a (money/cash register sound), take your money is rather obvious.

Clearly not, because I told you the meaning of the song and you still missed it? It's about the perception towards them....the one you seem to have, the one you can't relate to (not as well at least). Though you might look for what it means, you have a biased perception (Like you admitted) since even though I TOLD you what it means, you didn't catch it. The song is about the perception of foreigners (Mostly) and to some extent, youth. NOT about shooting people and taking their money.
Back to top Go down
AquaAscension
Legendary
Legendary

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Music - Returning to the Past   Music - Returning to the Past EmptyTue Jun 30, 2009 1:41 pm

ÐeathByCyanide wrote:
AquaAscension wrote:

I don't mean the style it's played in, I mean the actual sound. I think it's mainly the synths from the keyboard I'm talking about.

You're talking about timbre then. Basically, that's the "sound" of rock. Timbre is everything about sound except for loudness and pitch... which doesn't help much. Essentially, timbre is created from the series of overtones that play along with an original pitch. This is the reason that guitar, trumpet, piano, etc. have a different sound and are distinguishable even though they may play the same note. Anyhow, yeah all rock music shares the same timbre. Electric guitars with distortion, maybe some acoustic stuff, maybe some keyboards and synthesizers, and of course drums and bass. If you want a different timbre, you're going to need to look at entirely new music.
Back to top Go down
Bartimaeus
Bartimaeus

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Music - Returning to the Past   Music - Returning to the Past EmptyTue Jun 30, 2009 4:18 pm

[quote="Jay.J"]
Quote :
Clearly not, because I told you the meaning of the song and you still missed it? It's about the perception towards them....the one you seem to have, the one you can't relate to (not as well at least). Though you might look for what it means, you have a biased perception (Like you admitted) since even though I TOLD you what it means, you didn't catch it. The song is about the perception of foreigners (Mostly) and to some extent, youth. NOT about shooting people and taking their money.

If that's the perception which she's trying to amend, then why is she confirming our views upon their society? I do not hear any point in the song that could even ambiguously mean that we're wrong.

Please explain why what you think about it is correct.
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Music - Returning to the Past   Music - Returning to the Past EmptyTue Jun 30, 2009 5:18 pm

M.I.A wrote:
Most the time when I go into the studio to sing, I get really bored. If I'm going to sing then I'm going to have to sing a bit weird. But with that one I just woke up and just sang the whole song in one go. It was in the morning and I wasn't thinking too much. I hadn't brushed my teeth. [The sample of the gun reloading and then the cash register ringing] was a joke. I was having this stupid visa problem and I didn't know what it was, aside from them thinking that I might to fly a plane into the Trade Center - which is the only reason that they would put me through this. I actually recorded that in Brooklyn, in Bed-Stuy. I was thinking about living there, waking up every morning - it's such an African neighborhood. I was going to get patties at my local and just thinking that really the worst thing that anyone can say [to someone these days] is some s--t like: 'What I wanna do is come and get your money.' People don't really feel like immigrants or refugees contribute to culture in any way. That they're just leeches that suck from whatever. So in the song I say 'All I wanna do is [sound of gun shooting and reloading, cash register opening] and take your money.' I did it in sound effects. It's up to you how you want to interpret. America is so obsessed with money, I'm sure they'll get it."

From Faber Magazine.

Paper Planes wrote:
Pirate skulls and bones
Sticks and stones and weed and bombs
Running when we hit them
Lethal poison through their system

It's up to interpretation, like most songs. She does mention all that other stuff before though. Anyway, I view it as more of a satirical song, more like "Why would that be all I want to do?" then, that's actually what I want to do.

Last edited by Jay.J on Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Music - Returning to the Past   Music - Returning to the Past Empty

Back to top Go down

Music - Returning to the Past
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next