Webmaster
Webmaster

Number of posts : 2031
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Telekinetic Choke

PostSubject: Night vs. Day   Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:10 pm

My parents apparently hate me staying up late at night now... so I need reasons why I should be able to stay up... reasons that benefit them and me. Currently, this is what I have for reasons to allow me to stay up at night:

• I can concentrate better.
  • I'm able to sleep when I feel it, not when it's forced.
  • They are undisturbed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://zyncmmm.ace.st
SkapeGoat
Powerful Mage
Powerful Mage

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Your Character
Primary Move: Invis cloak?

PostSubject: Re: Night vs. Day   Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:25 pm

if you ever have to work graveyard shift (i think thats the name) you'll be prepared
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin

Number of posts : 3470

Your Character
Level: ∞
Primary Move: Moderate

PostSubject: Re: Night vs. Day   Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:06 pm

They're right. Sorry to tell you. If your parents are smart they can shoot down those reasons easily.

1. You can concentrate better because your internal clock is already messed up from staying up late. You need to fix it before school starts.
2. Again, you will feel it if you get into the habit of sleeping early. You've already developed the habit of sleeping late which is why you no longer feel like it.
3. They worry about you and it's not a good sleep. What are you doing up at that time of day etc.

Well...You could say something smart about sleep. You could tell them a theory about sleep in general. People don't know why we sleep in general. There are a few theories as to why we do. Tests don't show actual much improvement from sleep. People can do just as much physical activity after being deprived at sleep. Even doing things such as driving, homework or something that become automated everyday processes can be done. The one thing sleep does tend to is restore cognitive function. It consolidates information and make it easier to do cognitive conscience things, but if you're not doing anything involving much thinking it doesn't seem to do much.

For example, if you don't sleep at all one night - and then just sleep 8 hours the next night, it doesn't seem like you need to catch up on that lost sleep. It's not like food where you can run out of nutrients or something. Anyway - the theory I was talking about sleep is this. People sleep because back in the day when we were hunter gatherers, we developed our skills for long range, and sight as our main things that helped us survive. Because of this, at night time we are severely handicapped. It's a means of just conserving energy because of evolution. Night time was a handicap for the human race and instead of being able to do anything productive, we just conserved our energy. Coincidence that 8 hours of sleep is recommended and night usually lasts for around 8-10 hours? When food wasn't a guarantee back then, wasting energy when you weren't at your best wasn't the best idea. There were days when you didn't eat, so when you did go hunting you had to be at your best. That's when your sight is at it's best. However, now a days we always have food available to us. We don't need to conserve energy for other things either because we have our own sources of light.

However, that theory is shaky. It's not that well backed up, meh it might convince your parents. Considering pretty much every animal has some form of sleep. Though it's weird in some animals. Like dolphins - half their brain is asleep at a time.

This link is also pretty neat. It's about a guy who never slept for 33+ years.

If you don't want to go the route of trying to convince them that sleep isn't useful anymore for humans, then you could say....It's the holidays, lighten up Very Happy.

Otherwise I think they're right XD

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://lolcatz.jayj
kuro
Clan Chieftan

Number of posts : 1331
Registration date : 2008-05-31

Your Character
Level: 2
Primary Move: invoke

PostSubject: Re: Night vs. Day   Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:17 am

sleep is important.

but i have to admit i like to do writing assignments from 10pm-12am, when everyone is asleep. there's less distractions.

as long as you can go to sleep by a certain time i think it should be okay. for me, i end up staying up later than i should be, which is why its bad for me.

sooo... if you can convince them youll go to sleep and things... idk. try and see.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://zyncmmm.act.st
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage

Number of posts : 2357

Your Character
Primary Move: Cursed Waves (pwned much?)

PostSubject: Re: Night vs. Day   Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:22 am

I have to disagree with Jay about fixing your internal clock. It is my opinion that some people have different natural internal clocks. For instance, no matter how long I go to bed at 10 and get up at 6, I never feel like sleeping then. (Trust me, I did this for many years.) I always have and always will get tired between 11:00 and 1:00 every night. And, I am always ready to wake-up between 8:00 and 9:00. I can make my sleep schedule deviate from that, but I am not as well rested when I do. (I do better getting 7 hours of sleep from 1:00 to 9:00, than I do getting 10 hours of sleep from 10:00 to 8:00.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin

Number of posts : 3470

Your Character
Level: ∞
Primary Move: Moderate

PostSubject: Re: Night vs. Day   Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:49 am

That's fine. I didn't mean he had to "fix" his internal clock, I meant in general it works better at those times, and adjusting it can throw it off. The only reason 8 hours of sleep is recommended is because of cycles of sleep. There's 4 stages of Non-REM sleep, followed by a brief period of REM sleep. It's the REM sleep that seems to be beneficial, it doesn't matter how long you really sleep - it's how much REM sleep that really matters. It's the sleep that's generally deep and that you dream in. However, if your circadian clock isn't running on Light/Dark periods (Day and Night) that means your body has gotten too used to indoor/artificial lighting. Your probably keep your lights on too often if I had to guess.

People do have different Circadian clocks, but they all tend to run on Day & Night cycles. I'm not that knowledable about this however, and although I've seen research...and stuff on it....I didn't really get it Razz. So I won't comment any further.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://lolcatz.jayj
AquaAscension
Legendary
Legendary

Number of posts : 580

Your Character
Primary Move: Flying Dragon Kick

PostSubject: Re: Night vs. Day   Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:31 pm

You know, Dragon, one of the reasons that you might get tired around 11 and 1 is probably also due to your eating schedule. Generally, after you eat a large meal, you'll feel tired (it's not just the turkey on Thanksgiving) and if you haven't eaten, then you'll also feel tired. Low blood sugar isn't just a symptom for hypoglycemics or diabetics you know. If you go for a prolonged period of time without eating, you'll feel tired because your body literally doesn't have the energy to do much. Even during school, people use quite a few calories thinking and doing mental work. That's why breakfast is important... you have to "break the fast" of sleep (hence breakfast). Imagine going for 8 hours without food and then not eating for another 5... sounds dumb, right? That's what you do if you skip breakfast. Anyhow, I'm off on several tangents by now...

Oh, right. Nutrition and eating habits might be messing with your energy levels more than sleep is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Night vs. Day   

Back to top Go down

Night vs. Day
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Old Mages Magic & Mayhem Gamers Forum :: Archives :: Archives-
Jump to: