Old Mages Magic & Mayhem Gamers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where the old players come back to what once was grand

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Forum Poll (7/5): Arcane or Spirit

Go down 
5 posters

Arcane or Spirit?
Arcane
Forum Poll (7/5): Arcane or Spirit I_vote_lcap65%Forum Poll (7/5): Arcane or Spirit I_vote_rcap
 65% [ 11 ]
Spirit
Forum Poll (7/5): Arcane or Spirit I_vote_lcap18%Forum Poll (7/5): Arcane or Spirit I_vote_rcap
 18% [ 3 ]
Neither
Forum Poll (7/5): Arcane or Spirit I_vote_lcap17%Forum Poll (7/5): Arcane or Spirit I_vote_rcap
 17% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 17

AuthorMessage
SinisteRing
Webmaster
Webmaster
SinisteRing

Number of posts : 2032
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Telekinetic Choke

Forum Poll (7/5): Arcane or Spirit Empty
PostSubject: Forum Poll (7/5): Arcane or Spirit   Forum Poll (7/5): Arcane or Spirit EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 4:28 am

When Zync handed me the map, he had 2 elements planned: Nature and Spirit. I took a look at his notes for the Spirit element and found that it might be extremely hard to balance, synergize, and keep from lagging the hell out of the game. Take a look at the design of some of the spells:

Code:
Description:
 - Strong Morph: Increase bonus Stamina recieved upon Morphing, +4 per lvl for Bear and Green Dragon, +2 per lvl for Wolf
 - Keen Morph: Increase the level of an Evasion ability that the Wolf, Crow, and Faerie Dragon Morphs have.
 - Bear Morph: A powerful morph form with a Roar ability.
 - Wolf Morph: A fast morph form with a critical strike ability.
 - Crow Morph: A flying morph form.
 - Regenerate: an aura that regenerates hp and increases speed slightly.
 - Faerie Dragon Morph: A flying morph form with Faerie Fire, Phase Shift, and Mana Flare.
 - Green Dragon Morph: A powerful flying form, with Rejuvenation, Regenerate, and a Harden Skin ability.

You'll notice that it's based mainly off morphs - the laggiest part of the map. There was even a vote on removing morphs which turned up an almost unanimous "Yes" or "It needs to be stronger" vote. This is the forum poll:

Would you prefer to see this laggy and hard to balance Spirit element, or would you prefer to see the Arcane element instead?
Back to top Go down
https://zyncmmm.forumotion.com
kuro
Clan Chieftan
kuro

Number of posts : 1331
Registration date : 2008-05-31

Your Character
Level: 2
Primary Move: invoke

PostSubject: Re: Forum Poll (7/5): Arcane or Spirit   Forum Poll (7/5): Arcane or Spirit EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 5:01 am

arcane.

some elements are welcome to be implemented into nature, like wolves/bears/etc, but like 8 morphs arent going to be used... at all... maybe one or two. bears summons and the such with upgrades for nature owuld be cool though.
Back to top Go down
http://zyncmmm.act.st
BashAndSmash
BashAndSmash

Number of posts : 399

Your Character
Primary Move: I Zap You

PostSubject: Re: Forum Poll (7/5): Arcane or Spirit   Forum Poll (7/5): Arcane or Spirit EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 5:12 am

I always wanted an arcane element so arcane it is I love you
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Forum Poll (7/5): Arcane or Spirit   Forum Poll (7/5): Arcane or Spirit EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 6:46 am

While loving morphs myself and being an enormous fan of dragons I'd LOVE spirit but at the same time thats what I'd like to see knowing it would be horrible for the map and nearly impossible to balance. Arcane would be much better in the long run...
Back to top Go down
SinisteRing
Webmaster
Webmaster
SinisteRing

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Forum Poll (7/5): Arcane or Spirit   Forum Poll (7/5): Arcane or Spirit EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 7:52 am

You see this? This is my justification of implementing the Arcane element. No more arguments about it. Good.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Forum Poll (7/5): Arcane or Spirit   Forum Poll (7/5): Arcane or Spirit EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 8:10 am

Haha..well...I was attempting to peace negotiations already anyways on trying to come to a point me, J and Dragon could all agree on...but with this I see no more reason to even bother...this would be the lesser of the two evils.
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Number of posts : 3470

Your Character
Level:
Primary Move: Moderate

PostSubject: Re: Forum Poll (7/5): Arcane or Spirit   Forum Poll (7/5): Arcane or Spirit EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 9:42 am

Ummm - neither instead of arcane? Nature is enough? Why do you have to add either...
Back to top Go down
http://lolcatz.jayj

PostSubject: Re: Forum Poll (7/5): Arcane or Spirit   Forum Poll (7/5): Arcane or Spirit EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 9:47 am

If you really don't want it that badly come up with new reasons as to why you don't want it in...I say new because hes seen the old and they have not swayed him out of it so you're obviously going to need better ones or at the very least more.
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Forum Poll (7/5): Arcane or Spirit   Forum Poll (7/5): Arcane or Spirit EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 10:00 am

To be honest, I doubt Sin has read all of that 4 page thread. He MAY have skimmed it.
Back to top Go down
SinisteRing
Webmaster
Webmaster
SinisteRing

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Forum Poll (7/5): Arcane or Spirit   Forum Poll (7/5): Arcane or Spirit EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 10:45 am

Jay.J wrote:
He MAY have skimmed it.
Didn't even do that. Read absolutely nothing of it.
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Forum Poll (7/5): Arcane or Spirit   Forum Poll (7/5): Arcane or Spirit EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 11:02 am

Which is why I added neither - and voted for it. Although you were joking - I suggest you read that instead of your novel/bedtime book or whatever Razz *Sigh*
Back to top Go down
SinisteRing
Webmaster
Webmaster
SinisteRing

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Forum Poll (7/5): Arcane or Spirit   Forum Poll (7/5): Arcane or Spirit EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 11:09 am

You know what? I'm going to go read that freaking thing right now. You guys drive me crazy. I'll be back in like... 2 hours.
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Forum Poll (7/5): Arcane or Spirit   Forum Poll (7/5): Arcane or Spirit EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 11:21 am

<3 you Sin. Appreciate it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Forum Poll (7/5): Arcane or Spirit   Forum Poll (7/5): Arcane or Spirit EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 11:46 am

I can sum it up pretty easily

They think it'll make the game worse because its already unbalanced and that adding more content will make this far worse, also that it will make the other elements less unique because there are now more elements and because most of the elements have a slight overlap making them not entirely unique. More or less they'd rather see everything else added before even nature and then to stop at nature and leave the map at that. They're going off of the route that keep the quantity small and the quality high as that will make the best possible map theory.

I think that adding a new element will allow those who wish for it the ability to have more flexibility in their builds and open up new possibilities for them, I also think that it would be nice to be able to have the option to choose something which isn't a natural element you can find every day. I think that while yes the map isn't balanced and there is a lot to work on that the point of the alpha like in standard development processes is to get everything in and working then make the map balanced out during the beta though wc3 maps very rarely follow this (hell, most of people on wc3 who make maps can't even get a proper version number going on and jump all over the place for little to no reason.)

that's more or less our 2 pages of posts in a nutshell isn't it Jay n Dragon? More or less went back and forth on those topics as far as i can remember.
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Forum Poll (7/5): Arcane or Spirit   Forum Poll (7/5): Arcane or Spirit EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 11:51 am

That's a pretty good summary - not even very biased and fairly accurate - though as a summary BOTH of our finer points are left out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Forum Poll (7/5): Arcane or Spirit   Forum Poll (7/5): Arcane or Spirit EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 11:57 am

Very true, the details of our arguments are left out but the main points are touched up, that's the downside of the summary, the finer points can't be touched up on which could determine his overall decision but thats about what he would have gotten should he have just brushed over it all.

As far as being biased goes when I'm trying to report it to a third part I prefer not to sugar coat it for one side of the other if possible, Not only is it morally wrong but should they actually decide to go back and reread it only to find out I was trying to sway them with sugar coating it could very easily discredit me in their eyes on future topics.
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Forum Poll (7/5): Arcane or Spirit   Forum Poll (7/5): Arcane or Spirit EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 12:02 pm

I'm glad you're morally sound Smile, would make Arcane coming out (in like over 6months Razz) not be as bad, haha. (though i still strongly disagree with it)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Forum Poll (7/5): Arcane or Spirit   Forum Poll (7/5): Arcane or Spirit EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 12:14 pm

Well as I said before, One step at a time, lets worry about M-spells, bosses, and new quests first...the RPG currently is heavily lacking and as such is far more important in my eyes then adding ANY new element. And yes...I try to be as fair as possible, I grew up around completely immoral people which showed me how much i hated it rather then growing off of example, so i know how much i hate it when people aren't trustworthy with me or such.

6 months is totally not even close....try a year...already stated i wasn't asking for this tomorrow, just something to think about for the future...future being after the plate is near empty and there actually isn't anything better to do.

Mmm...MMM on SC2... Razz
Back to top Go down
Lagger09
Legendary
Legendary
Lagger09

Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Your Character
Primary Move: I am the Destroyer of Time... guess...

PostSubject: Re: Forum Poll (7/5): Arcane or Spirit   Forum Poll (7/5): Arcane or Spirit EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 1:32 pm

ha if you are looking into future blizz games, mmm Diablo 3....

On Topic! Spirit looks epic and rediclously fun to play, but also a complete bitch to make and balance and learn to play well in any strech of the imagination. Arcane wins this battle. Spirit willl just test Sin's patience too much i think, and adding spirit will mean nobody playing any other elements. Lets work with what we have, for now and perhaps we put iin arcane around version 8.5 or 9, once nature is into the mix.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Forum Poll (7/5): Arcane or Spirit   Forum Poll (7/5): Arcane or Spirit EmptySat Aug 02, 2008 6:22 pm

i vote arcane but Spirit would be fun with morphs but Morphs lag alot and are really buggy and noone wants buggy n laggy so i go arcane Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Forum Poll (7/5): Arcane or Spirit   Forum Poll (7/5): Arcane or Spirit Empty

Back to top Go down

Forum Poll (7/5): Arcane or Spirit
Page 1 of 1