Old Mages Magic & Mayhem Gamers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where the old players come back to what once was grand

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Heroes of Newerth

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
SinisteRing
Webmaster
Webmaster
SinisteRing

Number of posts : 2032
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Telekinetic Choke

Heroes of Newerth Empty
PostSubject: Heroes of Newerth   Heroes of Newerth EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 3:29 am

I found Heroes of Newerth quite a while ago, looking to play in the beta. They recently gave out basically an open-beta style of keys to anyone who wants them on facebook.

So, I played it... and I liked it personally. Seriously, since it's new people aren't jackasses like you get with DotA. The game is quite the same, with better interface/graphics, new skills/ideas, and an overall much more fluid gameplay. I'm sure that with some updates, and once all the heroes have been put into the game, that it will be much better than DotA, and some new ideas might be enacted to make it a much better candidate to play than DotA.

Besides, it's from the makers of Savage 2... what besides greatness can you possibly expect? Anyways, here's what I give scores for each thing you might find on a normal game review:

Graphics - 10/10
Perhaps the most outstanding feature of the game as compared to DotA, the graphics have drastically improved. There are plenty of new effects that do not require a high-end PC to see. I've found this more graphically pleasing than most games that my computer gets 5 FPS playing (Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is a good example). Instead, you find that this game can be run on basically any computer without dropping to an unplayable FPS, yet still look extremely good in the process.

Sound - 8/10
Some of the sounds in the game are quite annoying when you start, but it's not a big deal. Some are really nice, and let you know what's going on around you. I guess it's quite similar to DotA in that respect, but I don't play with sound... so I guess it doesn't matter!

Gameplay - 9/10
There is definitely some great new mechanics in this game that fixed the truly annoying portions of DotA. For example, you're now able to drop the scoreboard and select OVER it while it's still displayed. In DotA, you'd find yourself rapidly clicking trying to cast a spell or targeting when you are caught unaware, looking at the scoreboard. No such thing occurs in HoN. The only thing I dislike in the transition from DotA to HoN is the merchant interface. Instead of just click-click and buy an item, you now have to select the shop, select the store you want to buy from, look at everything in tiny little icons with text barely readable, and then buying things by clicking on those tiny icons. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but for now it's a harsh transition. The fact that you can auto-create items is also a big plus. Now instead of searching for all 4 of those items and buying each individual one, you can just click a button and the entire thing appears in your inventory.

Overall, I really like it so far... but I guess I have a really low standard for games. I hope others will try it and tell me what they think.

EDIT

I should also mention the following features:

When you select another unit, it goes to a "secondary selection" where you simply are able to view its stats/health etc. You will still be able to control your hero while having another unit selected. This is extremely helpful for those who need to work with specific hp's.

You're able to check how long until your skills cooldown. Even more impressive, you're able to check what level skills your allies have, and how long until they're cooled down, with a simple hover over an icon on the interface.

Tired of not knowing the hotkey to a specific skill? All heroes are set to the hotkeys QWER.
Back to top Go down
https://zyncmmm.forumotion.com
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Number of posts : 3470

Your Character
Level:
Primary Move: Moderate

Heroes of Newerth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heroes of Newerth   Heroes of Newerth EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 10:24 am

I'd prefer DotA for the sole reason I don't have to learn 95+ new heroes, new interface, a bajillion items....for the same type of game play and money.
Back to top Go down
http://lolcatz.jayj
SinisteRing
Webmaster
Webmaster
SinisteRing

Your Character

Heroes of Newerth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heroes of Newerth   Heroes of Newerth EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 4:50 pm

Jay.J wrote:
I'd prefer DotA for the sole reason I don't have to learn 95+ new heroes, new interface, a bajillion items....for the same type of game play and money.
The only thing you really have to "learn" is the new interface, as you said, and what heroes in HoN match to what heroes in DotA. Same goes with items. If that's what you meant, then you truly aren't a very good gamer. It's also not the same type of gameplay. The gameplay is DRASTICALLY increased, with a ton of the annoying features of DotA fixed and replaced with something much better.

I've only played 4 games and know what 60% of the heroes do already. So clearly the issue isn't learning what everything does. I think you're just scared of looking bad in-game... but the problem is you already do look bad, especially when playing with me! Very Happy You just need to keep in mind that no matter where you're starting, all the other players are starting in that same location.

Finally, the truly great part about HoN, is that there are VERY few noobs. VERY few. I've seen people last-hitting, denying, and creep pulling a ton. I've rarely ever seen anyone who autoattacked. So I'm now sick of DotA, and I'll be sticking with HoN.

P.S: Pudge yells "YOU'RE MINE!!!!" when he throws a hook.
Back to top Go down
Zync
Elite Mage
Elite Mage

Number of posts : 364
Registration date : 2008-06-20

Your Character
Primary Move: Karate Chop

Heroes of Newerth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heroes of Newerth   Heroes of Newerth EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 5:17 pm

Why would I want to buy a game when I already have it?
Back to top Go down
Bartimaeus
Bartimaeus

Number of posts : 865

Your Character
Primary Move: Inferno

Heroes of Newerth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heroes of Newerth   Heroes of Newerth EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 5:27 pm

You don't have to buy it, if I recall correctly.

Why would you want to play a different version of DotA when you already have it? Because it's a bigger and better version than the previous. Why update your game? Because the updated version is probably better.

Probably.
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

Heroes of Newerth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heroes of Newerth   Heroes of Newerth EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 6:14 pm

So you're saying that they haven't made new and innovative heroes and have basically copied DotA almost in its entirety even to the point I don't have to learn new items or heroes? So you're saying it's DotA with better graphics and a few things that you find annoying are fixed? Milk money. Nothing more. Also, huge Ad hominem there mate.
Back to top Go down
SinisteRing
Webmaster
Webmaster
SinisteRing

Your Character

Heroes of Newerth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heroes of Newerth   Heroes of Newerth EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 6:23 pm

Sigh, you're hopeless. Forget it, I don't even want you to play anymore if you're going to be like this.
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

Heroes of Newerth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heroes of Newerth   Heroes of Newerth EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 8:09 pm

Seriously, get your borderline personality disorder checked out. I've already done the diagnosing for your therapist.
Back to top Go down
Bartimaeus
Bartimaeus

Your Character

Heroes of Newerth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heroes of Newerth   Heroes of Newerth EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 8:27 pm

Was anyone listening? You can get a key, FREE.
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

Heroes of Newerth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heroes of Newerth   Heroes of Newerth EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 8:42 pm

Closed beta.
Back to top Go down
Zync
Elite Mage
Elite Mage

Number of posts : 364
Registration date : 2008-06-20

Your Character
Primary Move: Karate Chop

Heroes of Newerth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heroes of Newerth   Heroes of Newerth EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 8:48 pm

Bartimaeus wrote:
Yes, you can get a CLOSED BETA key. To actually PLAY the real game (its release) the game will cost!
Back to top Go down
SinisteRing
Webmaster
Webmaster
SinisteRing

Your Character

Heroes of Newerth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heroes of Newerth   Heroes of Newerth EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 9:55 pm

Bartimaeus wrote:
Where? I can't seem to find anymore. The ones on the facebook ran out.
Back to top Go down
Bartimaeus
Bartimaeus

Your Character

Heroes of Newerth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heroes of Newerth   Heroes of Newerth EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 10:02 pm

...well, you should've said something.

lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Heroes of Newerth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heroes of Newerth   Heroes of Newerth Empty

Back to top Go down

Heroes of Newerth
Page 1 of 1