Old Mages Magic & Mayhem Gamers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where the old players come back to what once was grand

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Religious Terrorism

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
SinisteRing
Webmaster
Webmaster
SinisteRing

Number of posts : 2032
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Telekinetic Choke

Religious Terrorism Empty
PostSubject: Religious Terrorism   Religious Terrorism EmptySun May 24, 2009 10:48 pm

I'm doing a research paper for school about religious terrorism. What I want to discuss is what would be the best thing to discuss in the paper. Should I go for the psychology of how they become what they are? Should I go for ways they choose how and when to attack?

I'm just looking for some ideas. I need some form of basis to put it on, and I can't think of one.

The paper has to be 6-7 pages long.
Back to top Go down
https://zyncmmm.forumotion.com
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Number of posts : 2358

Your Character
Primary Move: Cursed Waves (pwned much?)

PostSubject: Re: Religious Terrorism   Religious Terrorism EmptyMon May 25, 2009 12:34 am

Do a paper on Catholics and/or the Crusades. It will throw everyone for a loop. They are the worst kind of religious terrorists and hypocrites.
Back to top Go down
Bartimaeus
Bartimaeus

Number of posts : 865

Your Character
Primary Move: Inferno

PostSubject: Re: Religious Terrorism   Religious Terrorism EmptyMon May 25, 2009 4:02 am

Dragonheart91 wrote:
Do a paper on Catholics and/or the Crusades. It will throw everyone for a loop. They are the worst kind of religious terrorists and hypocrites.

QF absolute T. Ne'er a truer sentence has been said.
Back to top Go down
AquaAscension
Legendary
Legendary

Number of posts : 580

Your Character
Primary Move: Flying Dragon Kick

PostSubject: Re: Religious Terrorism   Religious Terrorism EmptyTue May 26, 2009 12:59 pm

QFT? I'm thinking quite "freaking" true, but not sure.

I suppose I'd ask what is the scope of your paper? Is it to be one of definition (i.e. what defines religious (for that matter terrorism too) terrorism?) or is it to be one of "application" as you seem to suggest above (i.e. the why's and the how's)?

The psychology aspect is interesting but I don't know that there has been much pertinent or really scientific research on that topic, but you should ask Jay since he's the resident Psych.

As for the second question: this could also be very interesting but may also be a very depressing process. I imagine in order to successfully complete this research, you'd need to look up several attacks and where they were and also when. Keep in mind that the United States has not had as many terrorist attacks as other countries have had.

Lastly, the term "religious terrorism" confuses me a bit but only because I'm an English major and can see several different meanings of that someone nebulous phrase. Is it terrorism of religion? Is it terrorism with religious motives (i.e. something like the jihad)? If you define religious terrorism in a certain way, that may narrow your focus down a bit. Lastly, the Spanish Inquisition (not Monty Python's version) might be an interesting topic to look into. Also, would the Holocaust count as religious terrorism or is that something different.

Tl; Dr: Try to define "religious terrorism." / If you're going for psychology, ask Jay as he should know. / In addition to the Crusades, what about the Spanish Inquisition and the Holocaust in which other religions besides Christianity were targeted and in which mostly one religion was targeted, respectively.
Back to top Go down
Bartimaeus
Bartimaeus

Number of posts : 865

Your Character
Primary Move: Inferno

PostSubject: Re: Religious Terrorism   Religious Terrorism EmptyTue May 26, 2009 6:08 pm

Quoted for truth.
Back to top Go down
SinisteRing
Webmaster
Webmaster
SinisteRing

Number of posts : 2032

Your Character
Primary Move: Telekinetic Choke

PostSubject: Re: Religious Terrorism   Religious Terrorism EmptyTue May 26, 2009 8:11 pm

AquaAscension wrote:
If you're going for psychology, ask Jay as he should know.
Jay.J died.

AquaAscension wrote:
Try to define "religious terrorism."
That is a good place to start. Seems to me like it's someone believing that God wants them to die for the purpose of destroying their enemy, and therefore do exactly that to get to "heaven" or whatever.

Also, the psychology behind it wont work. Found out that we're supposed to make something debatable about it... and it's based off a book that I simply cannot find... This sure is going to be a shitty week for me, besides the fact that I've recently been doing quite well playing DotA.

I need a thesis statement by tomorrow... so that's gonna suck...
Back to top Go down
https://zyncmmm.forumotion.com
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Number of posts : 3470

Your Character
Level:
Primary Move: Moderate

PostSubject: Re: Religious Terrorism   Religious Terrorism EmptyWed May 27, 2009 10:24 am

Quote :
Jay.J died.

No, I recently moved. Haven't had my own internet connection in a while. Have to use school and friends computers. Check my IP's if you so desire.

Ontopic: I'd go with something that doesn't come to mind right away, like the Holocaust or the crusades, opposed to the Jihad/Extremist Muslims type scenarios. More information, less biased etc.
Back to top Go down
http://lolcatz.jayj
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Religious Terrorism   Religious Terrorism Empty

Back to top Go down

Religious Terrorism
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Old Mages Magic & Mayhem Gamers Forum :: Archives :: Archives-
Jump to: