Where the old players come back to what once was grand
 
HomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 What I'm Currently Doing

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
SinisteRing
Webmaster
Webmaster
avatar

Number of posts : 2031
Registration date : 2008-05-21
Age : 25
Location : New Hampshire

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Telekinetic Choke

PostSubject: What I'm Currently Doing   Sat May 09, 2009 7:14 pm

It's probably hard for people to understand what I'm doing most of the time because I skip around a lot. So I'm just going to try to put what I'm currently doing/into in my signature for ease. Just thought it might be a smart idea.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://zyncmmm.ace.st
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
avatar

Number of posts : 2357
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Cursed Waves (pwned much?)

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Currently Doing   Sun May 10, 2009 12:12 am

A cartoon version of Battlefield? Ok, have fun with that. Also, why do you think we care?


I guess I shouldn't argue though, any activity on the forums is better than none I suppose.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
avatar

Number of posts : 3470
Registration date : 2008-05-21
Age : 26
Location : Toronto

Your Character
Level: ∞
Primary Move: Moderate

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Currently Doing   Sun May 10, 2009 12:43 am

I am curious as to why you think people need to know EXACTLY what you're doing when it doesn't affect them. Like you could have just said "I'm playing a new game that's pretty cool, try it out." Your wording makes you sound very....ego-centric.

_________________

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://lolcatz.jayj
SinisteRing
Webmaster
Webmaster
avatar

Number of posts : 2031
Registration date : 2008-05-21
Age : 25
Location : New Hampshire

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Telekinetic Choke

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Currently Doing   Sun May 10, 2009 2:58 am

Jay.J wrote:
Your wording makes you sound very....ego-centric.
And I'm not?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://zyncmmm.ace.st
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
avatar

Number of posts : 3470
Registration date : 2008-05-21
Age : 26
Location : Toronto

Your Character
Level: ∞
Primary Move: Moderate

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Currently Doing   Sun May 10, 2009 9:58 am

Yes, but as an intelligent individual I would have though that you would realize that selfishness & ego-centric characteristics are not desirable, thus you would try to hide it and play it cool and aloof. You accomplish the same thing, just don't look as arrogant, which in turn makes people like you more, which would be your ultimate goal, would it not? Making people love you as much as you love yourself?

_________________

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://lolcatz.jayj
SinisteRing
Webmaster
Webmaster
avatar

Number of posts : 2031
Registration date : 2008-05-21
Age : 25
Location : New Hampshire

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Telekinetic Choke

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Currently Doing   Mon May 11, 2009 12:28 am

Jay.J wrote:
which in turn makes people like you more, which would be your ultimate goal, would it not? Making people love you as much as you love yourself?
No, in fact I go for quite the opposite. I try not to hide myself and shy away from who I really am and seriously express it either way. If that's not what people like, then so be it. But I refuse to be someone I'm not. Live above the influence. It's what makes people unique, and if we're all hiding ourselves in the same way, then there's less variety in the world.

And you call me a sheep...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://zyncmmm.ace.st
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
avatar

Number of posts : 2357
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Cursed Waves (pwned much?)

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Currently Doing   Mon May 11, 2009 1:03 am

So true, Jay is the only one here that I can think of right off that craves other people liking him. I think most of the rest of us couldn't care less.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bartimaeus
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Number of posts : 865
Registration date : 2008-05-21
Age : 105

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Inferno

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Currently Doing   Mon May 11, 2009 1:18 am

SinisteRing wrote:
Jay.J wrote:
which in turn makes people like you more, which would be your ultimate goal, would it not? Making people love you as much as you love yourself?
No, in fact I go for quite the opposite. I try not to hide myself and shy away from who I really am and seriously express it either way. If that's not what people like, then so be it. But I refuse to be someone I'm not. Live above the influence. It's what makes people unique, and if we're all hiding ourselves in the same way, then there's less variety in the world.

And you call me a sheep...

Jay.J wrote:
Yes, but as an intelligent individual I would have though that you would realize that selfishness & ego-centric characteristics are not desirable, thus you would try to hide it and play it cool and aloof. You accomplish the same thing, just don't look as arrogant, which in turn makes people like you more, which would be your ultimate goal, would it not? Making people love you as much as you love yourself?

I agree with Jay.J. Because you have bad qualities doesn't mean you should necessarily show them. Because you're innately overprideful doesn't mean you should necessarily not try to correct yourself and just live with it. Strive for your best, not stay at your worst.

You all may think, at first view, that it's the every day path of trying to fit in by sacrificing one's individuality, but it's actually a strive for one's personal best by eliminating one's personal deficiencies and flaws.

Hilarious irony on Dragonheart91's part, though, as he is the one who has been hiding all his flaws ever since he came here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
avatar

Number of posts : 2357
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Cursed Waves (pwned much?)

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Currently Doing   Mon May 11, 2009 2:31 am

If I was hiding my flaws, then how would you know about them? Do I not make it clear that I'm a paranoid sociopath with stalker tendencies? Umm what other flaws can I list, sometimes I'm OCD and I fail at life. I'm tired, but I can continue the list in the morning if you want.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AquaAscension
Legendary
Legendary


Number of posts : 580
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Flying Dragon Kick

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Currently Doing   Mon May 11, 2009 5:00 am

paranoid sociopath with stalker tendencies. awesome. You sound like you're trying to victimize yourself. Ultimate Loss.

So, in response to the liff game thread: women tell me things too. I just don't classify what women tell me about how they've been hurt in the past as "blackmail." I don't think that this is just a matter of opinion or words though. Basically, you're saying that people shouldn't open up to you - why else would you call sensitive information "blackmail" unless you had some idea for its use. That kind of use is typically negative. Well, okay, always negative. No faith in people?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zync
Elite Mage
Elite Mage


Number of posts : 364
Registration date : 2008-06-20
Age : 32
Location : Arizona

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Karate Chop

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Currently Doing   Mon May 11, 2009 5:00 am

SinisteRing wrote:
Jay.J wrote:
which in turn makes people like you more, which would be your ultimate goal, would it not? Making people love you as much as you love yourself?
No, in fact I go for quite the opposite. I try not to hide myself and shy away from who I really am and seriously express it either way. If that's not what people like, then so be it. But I refuse to be someone I'm not. Live above the influence. It's what makes people unique, and if we're all hiding ourselves in the same way, then there's less variety in the world.

And you call me a sheep...

In my experience, the only time an intelligent person does not manipulate their social situations, it is because their intelligence does not branch to social interaction. In their failure, they attempt to justify why they "will not" act in such ways, when in truth they are simply compensating for their flaw.

At the first university I attended, 3 of the 6 in my "click" were such individuals. It's sad really, because even the most introverted individuals need to feel wanted and loved. We all are just human after all. And in this denial, those friends never developed their social skills, causing them to be socially exiled at the age of 20 due to the expectations others have for at least mediocre social understanding.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
avatar

Number of posts : 3470
Registration date : 2008-05-21
Age : 26
Location : Toronto

Your Character
Level: ∞
Primary Move: Moderate

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Currently Doing   Mon May 11, 2009 10:20 am

This leads to the question "Who are you?"
1. Are you the person you try to be.
2. The person who has initial thoughts.

Reminds me of the episode The Social Contract from House. "If he spends his whole life constructing this nice guy persona, isn't that as much who he really is as much as anything else?" - Wilson.

Though, I know Sin doesn't watch house, Kutner gives another good example of Harry Potter. The sorting hat was going to put him in Slytherin based on personality, but he chooses to go Gryffindor.

@Dragonheart91 - I don't need social approval in the least bit. That's not to say I don't like it. It's innately human to be wanted to be approved. That's why like people group together, because people who share common thoughts and interests generally will also agree with eachother and they can "be themselves" and still be approved. You're in denial to think you don't care what other people think. You rationalize other people not liking you, but if you had the choice you wouldn't choose your current situation. You just say "It's fine that I am in it."

@Bart: Exactly, striving for perfection is what makes the human race advance. To think being liked or wanted or important wasn't a part of every "planned" technological advancement is silly.

Though, I don't know if anyone is familiar with Erik Erikson's point of view of completeness versus perfection, which is also interesting. His view was that instead of trying to over come our "shadows" or our weakness's and striving for perfection, we should strive to accept and incorporate our weaknesses into who we are. Neo from the Matrix in the 3rd film demonstrates this with his "Shadow" being Agent Smith.

@Zync: It's ironic how Dragon claims to be manipulative by blackmailing people, yet he doesn't accept the "manipulation" of getting other people to like them.

_________________

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://lolcatz.jayj
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
avatar

Number of posts : 2357
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Cursed Waves (pwned much?)

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Currently Doing   Mon May 11, 2009 12:47 pm

I didn't say I didn't want people to like me. It's not necessary and I can live without it, but yes it is nice to feel valued by others. However, I'm not going to hide my flaws or change who I am to gain that approval. So I guess the "couldn't care less" line was overdoing it, but I can and have gone without friends before and would do it again before compromising on who I am.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
avatar

Number of posts : 3470
Registration date : 2008-05-21
Age : 26
Location : Toronto

Your Character
Level: ∞
Primary Move: Moderate

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Currently Doing   Mon May 11, 2009 2:19 pm

There's compromising who you are, and bettering yourself though. There's, in my opinion, a large difference.

Compromising yourself is when you hide something, or something similar of a quality that isn't innately bad, but may have social stigma attached to it. Bettering yourself is changing what isn't good.

The only real argument is what constitutes good and bad, which I don't really care to argue and think it's something that's up to the individual to decide.

_________________

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://lolcatz.jayj
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
avatar

Number of posts : 2357
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Cursed Waves (pwned much?)

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Currently Doing   Mon May 11, 2009 3:05 pm

But I LIKE being a paranoid sociopath. I wouldn't want to change it even if I could.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
avatar

Number of posts : 3470
Registration date : 2008-05-21
Age : 26
Location : Toronto

Your Character
Level: ∞
Primary Move: Moderate

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Currently Doing   Mon May 11, 2009 3:31 pm

What you like and what's good are not necessarily the same, surely you can see that? Sociopaths truly enjoy killing people, arsonists truly enjoy burning things, Heroine addicts truly enjoy heroine....doesn't stop it from being a bad thing.

Most people who are something "bad" don't want to change, but want everyone else to change and make that thing acceptable instead. You don't want to change, you'd rather everyone accept you for who you are, regardless of if what you're doing is good or bad because it frees you of responsibility.

_________________

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://lolcatz.jayj
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
avatar

Number of posts : 2357
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Cursed Waves (pwned much?)

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Currently Doing   Mon May 11, 2009 3:53 pm

There's nothing wrong with burning things and people who use heroine hurt no one besides themselves. Being a sociopath doesn't necessarily mean killing people. Besides, I wouldn't waste my life rotting in jail.

Good and bad are matters of perspective. I am a helpful member of my community and the good I do for others far outweighs any harm I've inflicted. Just because I'll kill them all someday doesn't make me "bad".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bartimaeus
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Number of posts : 865
Registration date : 2008-05-21
Age : 105

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Inferno

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Currently Doing   Mon May 11, 2009 4:31 pm

Dragonheart91 wrote:
There's nothing wrong with burning things and people who use heroine hurt no one besides themselves. Being a sociopath doesn't necessarily mean killing people. Besides, I wouldn't waste my life rotting in jail.

Good and bad are matters of perspective. I am a helpful member of my community and the good I do for others far outweighs any harm I've inflicted. Just because I'll kill them all someday doesn't make me "bad".

Actually, yeah, it kind of does.

murder - noun - The unlawful killing of one human being by another with malice.

sociopath - One who is affected with a personality disorder marked by aggressive, antisocial behavior.

How can you be a very good part of your community if you're super aggressive against them?

1. Arsonists doesn't mean JUST burning things. Arsonist - noun - The crime of maliciously, voluntarily, and willfully setting fire to the building, buildings, or other property of another or of burning one's own property for an improper purpose, as to collect insurance.

There is something wrong with that.

While being a heroine addict may not be necessarily bad to everyone else, it's bad to one's health, intelligence, and willpower. In my eyes, it's bad.

Of course, you'll disagree with all these definitions, and put in your own. Which is why you're Dragontroll.

Dragonheart91 wrote:
If I was hiding my flaws, then how would you know about them? Do I not make it clear that I'm a paranoid sociopath with stalker tendencies? Umm what other flaws can I list, sometimes I'm OCD and I fail at life. I'm tired, but I can continue the list in the morning if you want.

You have been hiding your flaws until recently. Before, you were a polite, smart individual who contributed to our forums. Now? Now you're simply here to troll us with opposite opinions, and in arguments, trying to change the context of our words, openly trolling Jay.J with crap such as, "Oh, he's a Socialist, so every thing he says must be wrong, ololol!", etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
avatar

Number of posts : 2357
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Cursed Waves (pwned much?)

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Currently Doing   Mon May 11, 2009 5:08 pm

Hmm, I didn't realize aggression was a part of sociopathic behavior. I keep my aggression in check, so maybe sociopath doesn't fit me.



And now you knock me for being polite and contributing? There's no reason why I can't still be polite and contribute if I find anything that interests me again. I'm just overly bored due to no map projects to be interested in yet I don't want to give up this forum with interesting people that I have come to enjoy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bartimaeus
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Number of posts : 865
Registration date : 2008-05-21
Age : 105

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Inferno

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Currently Doing   Mon May 11, 2009 5:16 pm

Dragonheart91 wrote:
And now you knock me for being polite and contributing? There's no reason why I can't still be polite and contribute if I find anything that interests me again. I'm just overly bored due to no map projects to be interested in yet I don't want to give up this forum with interesting people that I have come to enjoy.

...the interesting people you have come to enjoy?

Good thing you're insulting and trolling them, and making them dislike you, right?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
avatar

Number of posts : 2357
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Cursed Waves (pwned much?)

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Currently Doing   Mon May 11, 2009 6:31 pm

Exactly. Obviously now I can tell who REALLY likes me and who was just bored.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bartimaeus
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Number of posts : 865
Registration date : 2008-05-21
Age : 105

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Inferno

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Currently Doing   Mon May 11, 2009 6:47 pm

Dragonheart91 wrote:
Exactly. Obviously now I can tell who REALLY likes me and who was just bored.

...what? Who's going to like somebody that acts like a jerk to them? Not any person who knows who is a good friend, and isn't.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
avatar

Number of posts : 2357
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Cursed Waves (pwned much?)

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Currently Doing   Mon May 11, 2009 7:07 pm

I'm sorry, I'm just bored. I hope I didn't offend anyone although it wouldn't be the end of the world if I did. Sometimes my jokes take on a different note when I get bored and others don't seem to appreciate it.


Give me something to entertain me and I'll lay off eventually.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Piddagoras
Map Maker
avatar

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2008-05-22
Age : 29
Location : California

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Cosines and Sines.

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Currently Doing   Mon May 11, 2009 8:15 pm

Zync wrote:
SinisteRing wrote:
Jay.J wrote:
which in turn makes people like you more, which would be your ultimate goal, would it not? Making people love you as much as you love yourself?
No, in fact I go for quite the opposite. I try not to hide myself and shy away from who I really am and seriously express it either way. If that's not what people like, then so be it. But I refuse to be someone I'm not. Live above the influence. It's what makes people unique, and if we're all hiding ourselves in the same way, then there's less variety in the world.

And you call me a sheep...

In my experience, the only time an intelligent person does not manipulate their social situations, it is because their intelligence does not branch to social interaction. In their failure, they attempt to justify why they "will not" act in such ways, when in truth they are simply compensating for their flaw.

At the first university I attended, 3 of the 6 in my "click" were such individuals. It's sad really, because even the most introverted individuals need to feel wanted and loved. We all are just human after all. And in this denial, those friends never developed their social skills, causing them to be socially exiled at the age of 20 due to the expectations others have for at least mediocre social understanding.

It's spelled clique.

When people have flaws, they rationalize them, or the acknowledge them and attempt to improve. It's a binary condition, either you deny it's importance or you try to fix it.

Blaming their lack of social skills on their rationalization seems, to me, to be a narrow view. There are many reasons for people to be socially inept, including, but not limited to:
-early childhood alienation from peers due to physical or mental differences too apparent to overcome
-psychological damage from many sorts of early childhood abuse
-diseases and disorders such as autism or social anxiety
-denial of the importance of social contact or lack of social drive due to a certain tendency towards a schizoid personality type. (this seems to be what this thread is attempting to apply to Sinister's case)

I disagree, however. Sinister posted an update on his current behaviors that assumed some interest on the part of the readers. Clearly the readers were interested enough in what Sinister was currently doing to view the thread, but seemed disappointed by the content. In my opinion this is not a display of egotism due to social ineptitude, just a display of egotism.

Sinister's mistake was attempting to defend himself by saying he doesn't care what people think of him. The nature of this thread makes it clear that he does indeed value what people think of him. He should have just asserted that egotism isn't a bad quality to tear the assumptions out from under the argument that was built against him.

If you've spent any time in the world, you know that an inordinate amount of confidence is often considered an attractive quality. Personally I just find people with such confidence to be annoying because they can't possibly be better than me. As long as the confidence is founded in some form of reality, however, many people respect it.

tl;dr I'm awesome; most of you are wrong about Sinister and the original post.

_________________

"On the lips, on the mouth, on the floor, reaching out.
On the carpet, on the ceiling, no more words, no more feelings"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bartimaeus
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Number of posts : 865
Registration date : 2008-05-21
Age : 105

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Inferno

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Currently Doing   Mon May 11, 2009 8:49 pm

Pythagoras wrote:
Zync wrote:
SinisteRing wrote:
Jay.J wrote:
which in turn makes people like you more, which would be your ultimate goal, would it not? Making people love you as much as you love yourself?
No, in fact I go for quite the opposite. I try not to hide myself and shy away from who I really am and seriously express it either way. If that's not what people like, then so be it. But I refuse to be someone I'm not. Live above the influence. It's what makes people unique, and if we're all hiding ourselves in the same way, then there's less variety in the world.

And you call me a sheep...

In my experience, the only time an intelligent person does not manipulate their social situations, it is because their intelligence does not branch to social interaction. In their failure, they attempt to justify why they "will not" act in such ways, when in truth they are simply compensating for their flaw.

At the first university I attended, 3 of the 6 in my "click" were such individuals. It's sad really, because even the most introverted individuals need to feel wanted and loved. We all are just human after all. And in this denial, those friends never developed their social skills, causing them to be socially exiled at the age of 20 due to the expectations others have for at least mediocre social understanding.

It's spelled clique.

When people have flaws, they rationalize them, or the acknowledge them and attempt to improve. It's a binary condition, either you deny it's importance or you try to fix it.

Blaming their lack of social skills on their rationalization seems, to me, to be a narrow view. There are many reasons for people to be socially inept, including, but not limited to:
-early childhood alienation from peers due to physical or mental differences too apparent to overcome
-psychological damage from many sorts of early childhood abuse
-diseases and disorders such as autism or social anxiety
-denial of the importance of social contact or lack of social drive due to a certain tendency towards a schizoid personality type. (this seems to be what this thread is attempting to apply to Sinister's case)

I disagree, however. Sinister posted an update on his current behaviors that assumed some interest on the part of the readers. Clearly the readers were interested enough in what Sinister was currently doing to view the thread, but seemed disappointed by the content. In my opinion this is not a display of egotism due to social ineptitude, just a display of egotism.

Sinister's mistake was attempting to defend himself by saying he doesn't care what people think of him. The nature of this thread makes it clear that he does indeed value what people think of him. He should have just asserted that egotism isn't a bad quality to tear the assumptions out from under the argument that was built against him.

If you've spent any time in the world, you know that an inordinate amount of confidence is often considered an attractive quality. Personally I just find people with such confidence to be annoying because they can't possibly be better than me. As long as the confidence is founded in some form of reality, however, many people respect it.

tl;dr I'm awesome; most of you are wrong about Sinister and the original post.

Ha! I never said anything about his social skills! I just defined what Jay.J was saying about striving for one's best more clearly.\

...Hence most, huh?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: What I'm Currently Doing   

Back to top Go down
 
What I'm Currently Doing
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Old Mages Magic & Mayhem Gamers Forum :: Archives :: Archives-
Jump to: