Old Mages Magic & Mayhem Gamers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where the old players come back to what once was grand

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

My Recent Absence

Go down 
+3
Dragonheart91
Piddagoras
SinisteRing
7 posters
AuthorMessage
SinisteRing
Webmaster
Webmaster
SinisteRing

Number of posts : 2032
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Telekinetic Choke

My Recent Absence Empty
PostSubject: My Recent Absence   My Recent Absence EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 3:05 am

I got my wisdom teeth taken out on the 23rd. I've been recovering ever since. Sleeping for 16+ hours per day, trying to eat as much soft food as possible as slowly as I can, etc.

It's been hell for me, and that's why I haven't been on much.

Also, a question for anyone who has had theirs taken out: What's a good diet for me? Peaches/pears? Jello/pudding? I'm kind of confused on the specifics, but I know it should be soft.

P.S. Sorry if this doesn't seem like one of my normal posts, I'm hurting like hell right now, but no one is awake so I can't really get support.
Back to top Go down
https://zyncmmm.forumotion.com
Piddagoras
Map Maker
Piddagoras

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2008-05-22

Your Character
Primary Move: Cosines and Sines.

My Recent Absence Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Recent Absence   My Recent Absence EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 3:18 am

You won't be able to do much as far as food goes until you really start healing. The 23rd was yesterday.

Drink your calories as best you can, but not through a straw.

Did they give you any pain meds? They didn't give me any.
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Number of posts : 2358

Your Character
Primary Move: Cursed Waves (pwned much?)

My Recent Absence Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Recent Absence   My Recent Absence EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 4:41 am

I had mine out two weeks ago. It still fucking hurts. I'm an exception though, my bones were particularly strong and the doctor had trouble cutting through them to get at the impacted teeth.

As far as food, I lived on Potato Soup for the first 4 days or so before I ventured into slightly harder food. It's gonna suck for at least the first week.

Also, you will start to notice an increase in pressure and/or pain in the pack of your jaw as the first week progresses. This is due to food building up in your open holes. After that week passes, they will give you a special syringe that lets you get that food the hell out of there by squirting water into the bottom of the hole. (The syringe has a curved tip.) You can't have it before then because it would break up your blood clots if you used it too soon. But, that sucker is a god-send when you get it.

For pain meds, they gave me Oxycodone. (Similar to Cocaine.) It did very little for the pain, but in the first few days I was so high that I didn't care how badly it hurt. After that it stopped having any effect. So, I switched to 600 MG of Ib Prophen every 4 hours for the pain. (But, you have to be careful not to go over 2400 MG during the entire day or you risk major liver damage. So, I had to stop taking it at night.)

Summary: Get off the lame pain meds they give you and just take Tylenal/Asperin/Ib Prophen (whichever works best for you) in a slightly increased dose. (Call your pharmacist to ask exactly how much you can handle within the realm of safety. The bottles underestimate how much people can take for safety reasons.) Have your mom make you some simple Potato and/or Leek soup and then blend it until it's really smooth. Very simple and nutritious and it actually tastes pretty good. It will let you eat the minimum possible while also tasting good and not making you chew.
Back to top Go down
AquaAscension
Legendary
Legendary

Number of posts : 580

Your Character
Primary Move: Flying Dragon Kick

My Recent Absence Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Recent Absence   My Recent Absence EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 5:15 am

Ibuprofen can be taken at prescription strength (800 milligrams max). However, if you are taking that much you should have some food in your stomach (not a ton, but some) or you risk letting your stomach bleed.
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Number of posts : 3470

Your Character
Level:
Primary Move: Moderate

My Recent Absence Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Recent Absence   My Recent Absence EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 9:25 am

You should...ask your doctor. As everyone who's giving you advice is talking from experience and is not a doctor Smile. Not saying they're wrong....but cases do differ.
Back to top Go down
http://lolcatz.jayj
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Your Character

My Recent Absence Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Recent Absence   My Recent Absence EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 11:01 am

It's not like we gave him any dangerous advice. I even suggested he call his pharmacist before starting a regime of different drugs.
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

My Recent Absence Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Recent Absence   My Recent Absence EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 12:36 pm

Never said you did. But why ask public opinion of what you should do about something that involves specialty? For all I know, it is better to drink something through a straw contrary to what Pyth said, or perhaps potatoes will act as an inhibitor towards his medication. Obviously neither of those are very likely - but why ask about diet to people who aren't nutritionists or trained in any form. Our guess's are just as good as his...the only difference is experience - so why not get someone who has not only experience with different patients, but education in it as well. Again - not saying anything bad will happen from any ones advice....just think it's BETTER to ask a doctor. I wasn't saying you in particular or anything like that Dragon - so there's no need to be defensive Smile.
Back to top Go down
AquaAscension
Legendary
Legendary

Number of posts : 580

Your Character
Primary Move: Flying Dragon Kick

My Recent Absence Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Recent Absence   My Recent Absence EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 1:17 pm

Good points all, but I think that doctors at least out here don't tend to care about patients all that much. Yeah, he could go to a doctor and the doctor will probably suggest the exact same stuff that we did. Unless it's his primary care doctor, in which case he has a better chance of getting accurate and case-sensitive (i guess?) advice.
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

My Recent Absence Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Recent Absence   My Recent Absence EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 1:35 pm

O right...USA and such. Canada here and free health care and what not...O well. Really though, I don't go to the doctor myself very often because I'm rarely sick....Whatever. Just get better Tidus Smile
Back to top Go down
SinisteRing
Webmaster
Webmaster
SinisteRing

Your Character

My Recent Absence Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Recent Absence   My Recent Absence EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 1:44 pm

Dragon, my operation was done by one of the best orthopedic surgeons in the northeast. He gave me penicillin and acetmorphine/codine (I can't really spell it right). Penicillin is obvious for its usage, and the acetmorphine/codine is a substitute for tylenol which works better for this type of surgery.

I'm not looking for advice on the drugs I take, I'm taking some of the best I possibly can get... I'm looking for advice on what to eat so that I don't kill myself yet still get the neutrients I need.

P.S. I fell asleep about 30 minutes after that first post, then just woke up again before posting this...
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Your Character

My Recent Absence Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Recent Absence   My Recent Absence EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 5:06 pm

Sinister, that's the same medication that I was given I believe. It may very well work for you, but I have a resistance to some if not all of the different medications in it. If it stops helping you as it did me, then call your pharmacist for options.

But anyway. Start with well blended soup and ice cream is good too. I just basically lived on that until I could chew again.

P.S. Your lucky to be able to sleep that much. I hurt too badly and was too nauseous to sleep much at all for the first week.
Back to top Go down
Piddagoras
Map Maker
Piddagoras

Your Character

My Recent Absence Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Recent Absence   My Recent Absence EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 5:57 pm

Jay.J wrote:
Never said you did. But why ask public opinion of what you should do about something that involves specialty? For all I know, it is better to drink something through a straw contrary to what Pyth said, or perhaps potatoes will act as an inhibitor towards his medication. Obviously neither of those are very likely - but why ask about diet to people who aren't nutritionists or trained in any form. Our guess's are just as good as his...the only difference is experience - so why not get someone who has not only experience with different patients, but education in it as well. Again - not saying anything bad will happen from any ones advice....just think it's BETTER to ask a doctor. I wasn't saying you in particular or anything like that Dragon - so there's no need to be defensive Smile.

Drinking through a straw creates a vacuum in your mouth which could cause the wounds to reopen. But by all means, Sin is welcome to try it.

Sin's surgeon probably also told him not to drink through a straw, its pretty much standard ops for wisdom teeth.
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

My Recent Absence Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Recent Absence   My Recent Absence EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 6:45 pm

Wasn't targeting you either Pyth, just think it's better to ask a doctor/nutritionist over us, but whatever. I guess people on these forums are generally knowledgeable.
Back to top Go down
Piddagoras
Map Maker
Piddagoras

Your Character

My Recent Absence Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Recent Absence   My Recent Absence EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 6:50 pm

I know you weren't targeting me, but I was just giving Sin as much information as I felt I could, given my experience with my wisdom teeth being taken out, which was very little. Then posed a question about what they gave him for the pain.
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Your Character

My Recent Absence Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Recent Absence   My Recent Absence EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 7:17 pm

I just had my teeth out and talked extensively to a couple of doctors, nurses, and a pharmacist. I feel that I'm reasonably knowledgeable, since that was only two weeks ago.

Besides, it's not always easy to get in contact with these people, and if Sin feels as crappy as I did, then he's not going to want to talk on the phone. I used Sign Language and typing for the first two days because it hurt too much to open my mouth.

Btw, back to the food thing. You can basically eat anything that you feel comfortable chewing. But yeah, straws are generally bad because the vacuum they create can break the blood clots. (Which is bad.)
Back to top Go down
Coverzin
Intermediate Mage
Intermediate Mage

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2009-01-04

My Recent Absence Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Recent Absence   My Recent Absence EmptyFri Feb 27, 2009 4:24 am

Grilled cheese imo.
Back to top Go down
SinisteRing
Webmaster
Webmaster
SinisteRing

Your Character

My Recent Absence Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Recent Absence   My Recent Absence EmptyFri Feb 27, 2009 12:05 pm

How long does it take for the gums to fully heal? My dad said a week, but he's far from a doctor of any sort (he's a carpenter/building contractor).
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Your Character

My Recent Absence Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Recent Absence   My Recent Absence EmptyFri Feb 27, 2009 12:35 pm

I'm over 3 weeks in and my gums are still sore and occasionally bleed. I also just got another fun complication, Bone Spickle. Basically, my bones don't know what direction to grow in for the healing, so they are just growing in random directions. I have sharp protrusions of bone stabbing through my gum from the inside out that the dentist has to snap off periodically until the gaping hole in my jaw grows shut.

Fun stuff.

So yeah, depending on how lucky you are, you can expect to be back to normal activities anywhere from 3-14 days with the average about 7, and MOSTLY recovered around a month later. It can take 2-3 months for the bone to fully heal though.
Back to top Go down
kuro
Clan Chieftan
kuro

Number of posts : 1331
Registration date : 2008-05-31

Your Character
Level: 2
Primary Move: invoke

My Recent Absence Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Recent Absence   My Recent Absence EmptySat Feb 28, 2009 12:00 am

Well

1)first it has to stop bleeding

2)then it has to clot (1 day)

3)then it will seal up the hole (the very bottom of the hole where blood comes out, 1 week maybe?)

4)then it will slowly heal, but it may bleed, get punctured, etc.

5)It will take a long while to fully heal. But after a point it should stop hurting. (unless [4] happens)
Back to top Go down
http://zyncmmm.act.st
Piddagoras
Map Maker
Piddagoras

Your Character

My Recent Absence Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Recent Absence   My Recent Absence EmptySat Feb 28, 2009 12:40 am

In order for it to clot it must be bleeding. When the clot is completed the hole will be sealed and bleeding will cease.

Took me about 2 weeks to begin acting as normal again, swelling lasted a while longer.
Back to top Go down
SinisteRing
Webmaster
Webmaster
SinisteRing

Your Character

My Recent Absence Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Recent Absence   My Recent Absence EmptySat Feb 28, 2009 2:49 am

Apparently I'm insanely lucky. My gums are already healed over for the most part and they no longer hurt. I still take antibiotics, but I'm able to chew not-too-hard foods now (things such as chips is too hard, but Oreos is fine). Owned.
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Your Character

My Recent Absence Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Recent Absence   My Recent Absence EmptySat Feb 28, 2009 3:13 am

Some people are. My brother went out partying the night of the surgery.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

My Recent Absence Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Recent Absence   My Recent Absence Empty

Back to top Go down

My Recent Absence
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Old Mages Magic & Mayhem Gamers Forum :: Archives :: Archives-
Jump to: