Old Mages Magic & Mayhem Gamers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where the old players come back to what once was grand

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Armaneth's Compendium of Suggestions

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Armaneth
Mage
Mage
Armaneth

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-01-23

Armaneth's Compendium of Suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Armaneth's Compendium of Suggestions   Armaneth's Compendium of Suggestions EmptySat Feb 21, 2009 7:17 pm

This is just a list of suggestions I either came up with or read somewhere else and altered. Some may look familiar, others not, and a lot of these are big. So, here goes:

The War

We need a reason to be fighting the war in the first place, to satisfy part of the RPG component. my idea is that these two separate kingdoms have found the halves of an ancient relic, and are thus fighting over who should have the whole.

The magi enter here due to the kingdoms promising them a share of whatever the completed relic holds, thus meaning that the winning side will grow in power(gain a level) for winning, by taking the enemy kingdom's relic half from their paladin.

I also think there should be a larger variety in the types of troops in the waves. Currently all we have is your generic melee, ranged, and caster units. A little flavor with say, captain units, cavalry units, and both healing/damaging casters would increase the complexity and challenge in the war.

The Quests

Once the War has been won and the magi return to the home island, they will have the option to further unlock the relic's powers through a series of trials. Each element will represent a separate trial, with the main island being one on it's own and a tenth trial to represent the final challenge.

To progress through the trials, the magi must complete the previous one. In no way do I think this should affect purchasing elemental tiered gear, but just to add flavor to the RPG component. This would probably take the most time of any piece in the game, to develop and properly trigger/code a fun and interesting story with boss encounters, along with terrain changes to compensate.

The most obvious reward for these Trials is the gaining of levels and gold. Other rewards may include special gear rewards, such as improved elemental tier gear, multi-elemental gear, and neutral gear.

The Terrain

My main complaints for the terrain are that what we have feels cramped and there is a lot of wasted, unused space on the map. Solutions for this are difficult, as you have to also balance around terrain and placement.

I think that the islands need to be shuffled. Not just the quest hubs, but also the one the war is on. You could probably remove the portal island entirely by placing the way gates in separate areas on the main island, and also shove all the elemental islands together into a single island, divided up with the terrain boundary to keep them isolated from each other.

The shrines and farms could occupy their own corner on the map, out on their own where random creeps can't interfere with them, although this does remove players' ability to browse shops and buy/sell skill points during the war.

Other Thoughts

-Moving around as a mage with the current movement speed is tedious, and if the terrain gets an overhaul and made larger it would be even worse.

-Levels 15-40 suck in a game where the opposing team has one or more level 62. Perhaps a noob shield of say, 25-33% reduction between 15 and 30 would help.

-Town Portal Scrolls, for quickly returning to your side's base.

-I still would like to see a shuffle command added, or a system that will re-balance teams in a war automatically when they become uneven.

-More to come later, maybe.

Last edited by Armaneth on Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added more Thoughts.)
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Number of posts : 3470
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Your Character
Level:
Primary Move: Moderate

PostSubject: Re: Armaneth's Compendium of Suggestions   Armaneth's Compendium of Suggestions EmptySat Feb 21, 2009 9:07 pm

Quote :
-Levels 15-40 suck in a game where the opposing team has one or more level 62. Perhaps a noob shield of say, 25-33% reduction between 15 and 30 would help.

Play -an IMO if you're not past that. I just played one and got to 41 in around 2 hours without questing. If I had quested, I would probably have gotten 4-5+ levels.

On the other things, purpose/reasoning/RPG flavor seem to be the big theme, to which I would agree. On the terrain, I think it needs work but I don't think they need to all be placed together. Just some tidying up and shrinking the teleport island.
Back to top Go down
http://lolcatz.jayj
Armaneth
Mage
Mage
Armaneth

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Armaneth's Compendium of Suggestions   Armaneth's Compendium of Suggestions EmptySat Feb 21, 2009 10:05 pm

Jay.J wrote:
On the other things, purpose/reasoning/RPG flavor seem to be the big theme, to which I would agree.

I just think that the "RPG" is extremely lacking. You go into the war, you fight other magi, then you walk around and kill random creeps with no real direction.
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Number of posts : 2358
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Cursed Waves (pwned much?)

PostSubject: Re: Armaneth's Compendium of Suggestions   Armaneth's Compendium of Suggestions EmptySat Feb 21, 2009 10:51 pm

I agree. The only part of this that I don't either strongly agree with or not care about is having our farm moved off the main island. I like it there so we can shop.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Armaneth's Compendium of Suggestions   Armaneth's Compendium of Suggestions Empty

Back to top Go down

Armaneth's Compendium of Suggestions
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Old Mages Magic & Mayhem Gamers Forum :: Archives :: Archives-
Jump to: