Old Mages Magic & Mayhem Gamers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where the old players come back to what once was grand

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

What makes a map great?

Go down 
+3
Rhys
ThePeoplesChamp
SinisteRing
7 posters

What makes a map great?
Balance
What makes a map great? I_vote_lcap23%What makes a map great? I_vote_rcap
 23% [ 8 ]
Replayability
What makes a map great? I_vote_lcap29%What makes a map great? I_vote_rcap
 29% [ 10 ]
Uniqueness
What makes a map great? I_vote_lcap37%What makes a map great? I_vote_rcap
 37% [ 13 ]
Looks/Effects
What makes a map great? I_vote_lcap11%What makes a map great? I_vote_rcap
 11% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 35

AuthorMessage
SinisteRing
Webmaster
Webmaster
SinisteRing

Number of posts : 2032
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Telekinetic Choke

What makes a map great? Empty
PostSubject: What makes a map great?   What makes a map great? EmptySat Feb 14, 2009 5:16 pm

Choose from the options to decipher what makes a map the best. "All" is unacceptable, as maps naturally need to focus on one a few of them.

Ex. DotA focuses on balance, looks/effects, and replayability, while it lacks in uniqueness.
Ex. Castle Fight focuses on balance and replayability, but lacks in uniqueness and looks/effects.
Ex. Mages Magic & Mayhem focuses on balance, looks/effects, and uniqueness, but lacks in replayability.
Back to top Go down
https://zyncmmm.forumotion.com
ThePeoplesChamp
Novice Mage
Novice Mage

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2009-02-05

PostSubject: Re: What makes a map great?   What makes a map great? EmptySat Feb 14, 2009 9:12 pm

I voted for Replayability and looks/effects. The majority will not replay a game if it isn't balanced, and anything unique gets copied almost immediatly resulting in it no longer being unique. Replayability is important, because its difficult to call a game great after just one play through it. Looks are also important to initially draw a player into the game.
Back to top Go down
Rhys
Map Maker
Rhys

Number of posts : 719
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Your Character
Primary Move: Atomic Tea-Bag

PostSubject: Re: What makes a map great?   What makes a map great? EmptySat Feb 14, 2009 9:15 pm

i chose unique, while yes dota has become the best while not being unique at all that is not a fair thing to base the example on, because dota simply does what is most widely accepted as fun better then any other map.

In the end it is my opinion that unique things attract players. If you can keep the players is another story.
Back to top Go down
Balnazzar
Elite Mage
Elite Mage
Balnazzar

Number of posts : 371
Registration date : 2008-10-29

Your Character
Primary Move: Communist Propaganda

PostSubject: Re: What makes a map great?   What makes a map great? EmptySat Feb 14, 2009 9:24 pm

I voted for Balance, Replayability and Uniqueness.
Back to top Go down
http://www.marxists.org
SinisteRing
Webmaster
Webmaster
SinisteRing

Number of posts : 2032

Your Character
Primary Move: Telekinetic Choke

PostSubject: Re: What makes a map great?   What makes a map great? EmptySat Feb 14, 2009 10:45 pm

Actually, DotA is truly not unique in any way. It still retains normal WC3 skills for AT LEAST 1/6 of its skills. Things like Rooftrellen's eyes are sentinel. Shadow Strike hasn't changed a bit from the actual Warcraft 3 skill. Hellfire Blast, Storm Bolt, Magic Missile, etc are all just copies of Storm Bolt with a new effect. I could go on and on about which of the skills have absolutely no variety in the map, including those which don't do anything useful anyways, but just take my point that DotA is not unique.

Also, its balance isn't very... secure...
Back to top Go down
https://zyncmmm.forumotion.com
Balnazzar
Elite Mage
Elite Mage
Balnazzar

Number of posts : 371
Registration date : 2008-10-29

Your Character
Primary Move: Communist Propaganda

PostSubject: Re: What makes a map great?   What makes a map great? EmptySat Feb 14, 2009 11:08 pm

SinisteRing wrote:
Actually, DotA is truly not unique in any way. It still retains normal WC3 skills for AT LEAST 1/6 of its skills. Things like Rooftrellen's eyes are sentinel. Shadow Strike hasn't changed a bit from the actual Warcraft 3 skill. Hellfire Blast, Storm Bolt, Magic Missile, etc are all just copies of Storm Bolt with a new effect. I could go on and on about which of the skills have absolutely no variety in the map, including those which don't do anything useful anyways, but just take my point that DotA is not unique.

Also, its balance isn't very... secure...

Agreed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.marxists.org
Zync
Elite Mage
Elite Mage

Number of posts : 364
Registration date : 2008-06-20

Your Character
Primary Move: Karate Chop

PostSubject: Re: What makes a map great?   What makes a map great? EmptySat Feb 14, 2009 11:29 pm

For me ( at least in WC3 maps ) Balance, Uniqueness, along with a good amount of content IS Replayability ( since we're basically leaving out gameplay, which to me is always first and foremost ). Plus, you can only do so much with WC3 graphics, so I certainly voted for Balance and Uniqueness.
Back to top Go down
kuro
Clan Chieftan
kuro

Number of posts : 1331
Registration date : 2008-05-31

Your Character
Level: 2
Primary Move: invoke

PostSubject: Re: What makes a map great?   What makes a map great? EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 1:54 am

balance, uniqueness, graphics ==> replayability

MM&M has all three, though it still lacks replayability. So that means there's other factors involved. (What about game play, game pace, etc? There's just a lot.)

balance - as long as its not too imbalanced; slight differences are okay, as the game should be based more off of skill.

uniqueness - yes. If its something everybody is familiar with (like its basically dota with different items or something) then nobody will want to play it. (not counting dota lovers)

graphics - as long as graphics are mildly unique, or they are "thought" to be unique (like magic missile, hellfire blast, all of them based off of storm-bolt) then yes.

PS: perSonas has all four (though it lacks items compared to Dota).
Back to top Go down
http://zyncmmm.act.st
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Number of posts : 3470

Your Character
Level:
Primary Move: Moderate

PostSubject: Re: What makes a map great?   What makes a map great? EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 3:11 am

Rplayability. Sometimes the funnest games are the ones that are totally imbalanced, but like EVERYONE is imbalanced....Like Fight of Characters or Anime Fight, but that's beside the point. I voted Balance & Replayability though. Being able to play a game over and over makes a map goood....because it obviously has to be good to want to play it over and over again, whether it's because it's fun or just because it's addicting. What makes something have good replayability is another question though...
Back to top Go down
http://lolcatz.jayj
kuro
Clan Chieftan
kuro

Number of posts : 1331
Registration date : 2008-05-31

Your Character
Level: 2
Primary Move: invoke

PostSubject: Re: What makes a map great?   What makes a map great? EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 4:45 am

Uniqueness.

Dota imitators are hardly played unless they have something VERY special, like flashy graphics.

Why would you play... Anime Fight? Because it is so darn imbalanced its fun.

MM&M? Because its an RPG+AOS (done beautifully).
Back to top Go down
http://zyncmmm.act.st
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What makes a map great?   What makes a map great? Empty

Back to top Go down

What makes a map great?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Old Mages Magic & Mayhem Gamers Forum :: Archives :: Archives-
Jump to: