Old Mages Magic & Mayhem Gamers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where the old players come back to what once was grand

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

More weak shots

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Number of posts : 2358
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Cursed Waves (pwned much?)

More weak shots Empty
PostSubject: More weak shots   More weak shots EmptyThu Feb 05, 2009 9:00 pm

Missile Shot seems a bit too weak. Maybe the aoe could be buffed a bit?

Purge Shot is not used.

Sacrifice Shot is very hard to build around, and even when you do it is still only good against bosses and with a healer behind you. Maybe some kind of bouncing or aoe on it?

I'll add more if I remember.
Back to top Go down
Zync
Elite Mage
Elite Mage

Number of posts : 364
Registration date : 2008-06-20

Your Character
Primary Move: Karate Chop

More weak shots Empty
PostSubject: Re: More weak shots   More weak shots EmptyThu Feb 05, 2009 9:18 pm

Doesn't Missile Shot deal 1.8 * Power AoE? That means it actually deals 2.7 * Power to the target it directly hits. That's why the missile starts off slow and accelerates, making it harder to hit with. It is/has the highest multiplier I will EVER include in the game.

Maybe you're right about Purge Shot. Should I increase the chance of Purging to 18%? 20%?

Sacrifice Shot is not something you're meant to build around. It is something you can use effectively when you build a "tank" Metacian. (i.e. Someone using a Spiked Set with high natural Stamina, or a Minotaur Set + Spiked Armor build. )
In the same manner, Mana Shot is made to be used effectively when you build a "Mana Shield" tank.

I think you're getting this part of the game wrong. I'm implementing it such that you build a type of Metacian for the Set you want. Then, you can equip the Guns and Shot that function best for that Set/build.
For example, Spark Shot has a stun duration based on your Stamina. If you had 2 tanks, than when a Boss level comes, you hit them with Forsaken Shot until they lose their immunities to magic. Then, one of the tanks "takes" that boss unit by perma-stunning him with the good old 300 gold Spark Shot!
Then, while your 2 tanks prema-stun 2 of the bosses, the rest of your big damage dealers can focus on the remaining boss unit. This effectively takes them down to one boss unit at a time ( or less if you're all tanks ).
In future updates, I plan on making far more intelligent AI where tactics like these will be near necessary to get far in the game.

Don't worry. All of you power hungry players will be QQing ( hopefully ) by the Beta 7.0s
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Your Character

More weak shots Empty
PostSubject: Re: More weak shots   More weak shots EmptyThu Feb 05, 2009 9:28 pm

I wasn't complaining about how it aims, simply that the 155 aoe made it a bit weak in comparison to things with over 100 aoe more than it. The damage is great, the firing is fine, it just has too low of AOE in my opinion. Maybe buff it to 200ish or have it deal damage along a line instead of exploding. (Which reminds me, a Shockwave Shot would be cool and effective.)

Sacrifice Shot still seems a bit weak except against bosses. Basically anything that doesn't have aoe is near useless except on bosses. That kinda needs a work-around.

Purge Shot and Forsaken Shot should be combined in my opinion. Forsaken Shot is another one that is barely used. It's ALOT of trouble to pound a boss with Forsaken Shot just so that you can then switch to another shot and actually stun him or something. It becomes near pointless when there are 3-5 bosses. By the time you took off his resistance and stunned/entangled him, you could have just killed the damn thing. It would also be cool to see enemies put serious debuffs on us that require Purge Shot to eliminate.

Which brings me to another point. Boss waves still have like 6 enemies. Maybe some bosses could actually be just 1-2 BOSSES.
Back to top Go down
Zync
Elite Mage
Elite Mage

Your Character

More weak shots Empty
PostSubject: Re: More weak shots   More weak shots EmptyThu Feb 05, 2009 9:40 pm

What the game actually does, is add up the total level of all the Metacians and spawn numbers based off of that total. There are boss levels that will always only have 3 spawns, you probably just haven't gotten to them yet.

This whole notion of AoE being the "best" will go away with the addition of the two new modes -ff and -hc. You see, AoE is too hard to control in these modes, making them more detrimental in these modes than positive in all but the best M&M players. This is one reason why Missile Shot has a smaller AoE. To make it still useful in the future.

I will do my best to get Beta 6.0 out sometime this weekend. That way you know what I mean.

Also, yes, Pugre Shot and Forsaken Shot seem weak now, but I want you to wait until my AI functionality is implemented before you all out judge them. Within the next month this map should merge into the vision I am growing to, and all of the "pre-planned" content should make sense. If not, than I will revisit.
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Your Character

More weak shots Empty
PostSubject: Re: More weak shots   More weak shots EmptyThu Feb 05, 2009 9:46 pm

Why not combine Purge and Forsaken into one shot though? That shouldn't mess with anything. It will just make it a more versatile shot. (If I want to fill a more supporting role anyway, it would just be obnoxious to have to carry 3 shots. Purge, Forsaken, and whatever disable I choose. So, just reduce it to two by combining Purge and Forsake.)

I assume -ff (Friendly Fire) mode will have some kind of reward for that? Otherwise I don't see any reason for it to be used. -hc I'm still stumped about.

Btw, this makes me think. In the distant future, it would be extremely awesome to combine shots. Or, make a way to imbune a shot into your gun and then use another shot in addition to that. Imagine something like combining Forsaken Shot with Entangling Roots so that as soon as they finally have the magic resistance gone it immediately Entangles them. Or anything combined with Fireball shot to add some aoe to it. It opens alot of strategic doors and saves you from constantly switching back and forth between 3-4 shots like is currently necessary for certain levels.
Back to top Go down
Zync
Elite Mage
Elite Mage

Your Character

More weak shots Empty
PostSubject: Re: More weak shots   More weak shots EmptyThu Feb 05, 2009 10:01 pm

I liked your post.

Yes, -ff is friendly fire, and yes, the gold you earn per "effectiveness" increases with these modes according to the increased difficulty.

I don't know if I'd ever do some kind of "imbuing" or shooting multiple Shots ( or multiple Shot effects ) at once, primarily for balance reasons. However, doing some kind of recipe system for Shots is a real possibility.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

More weak shots Empty
PostSubject: Re: More weak shots   More weak shots Empty

Back to top Go down

More weak shots
Page 1 of 1